21. Threat

"That was Chris on the phone." Matt explained. He turned to Jess's door to make sure it was closed and then he turned back towards Mike and Sam who stared at him blankly.

"He said- he said that this mountain. It's mount Washington." Matt said.

Sam and Mike both gave each other a knowing look as they tried their best to act like they didn't know. Sam took a breath and then looked at Mike who just shook his head at her.

"Well what are we gonna do?" She asked. Matt looked around the room and then back at Sam in disbelief.

"Why is that the only thing you can ask right now? You're not- did you already know!?" Matt asked in anger.

Sam looked away from him, her guilt rising to her face. "And you didn't tell me. You didn't tell anyone what they were walking into last night. Ashley and Chris could've been killed because of it. Do you- do you realize that?" Matt asked.

"I was worried okay. And I didn't want to believe it myself. I'm sorry." Sam said to him.

He took a breath and then looked at her and then behind him. "I understand. Its just. Jess is really freaked out after everything. Mike, you know-."

"I do." Mike said shortly.

Matt nodded and crossed his arms.

"We went up there. Maybe a week ago. I dont even remember. I tried not to. But then you invited us here and it was just too close to that fucked up mountain." Mike explained.

Matt's eyes went wide at Mike's words. "You guys went back up there? Why the hell would you do that?" He asked the pair. They both looked at each other and then back at Matt.

"We didn't have a ride. I remembered I left my truck up there and we went to go get it and we ran into those shits." Mike said.

Matt shook his head, and again looked back behind him.

"We can't tell Jess. She will flip her shit." Mike said.

Matt nodded in agreement and then looked at the two.

"So what are we going to do. We don't have any plan. Jess and I are stuck here for who knows how long and those things are coming down from the mountain and killing more people. And they tried to get Ashley and Chris but since they knew what to do they lived." Matt said.

Sam leaned against the kitchen counter and shook her head. "We were talking about it last night. What we should do and what's possible for us to do."

"Did you come up with something?" Matt asked.

Sam looked over at Mike with a sly look as he rolled his eyes at her. He looked back at Matt and explained.

"While you and Jessica were separated from us, we met this guy. We have no idea what his name was but the only thing we could really say about him was he had a flame thrower. But he came around a few hours before dawn and he told us about the Wendigos. How he'd been hunting them for years and trying to protect the mountain from their curse. But then after that, he died outside the lodge with Chris. But I thought maybe there'd be more people like him. That know about the Wendigos like he did and helped him research and all that shit." Mike explained.

Matt have a confused look at first and then turned to Sam to make sure Mike hadn't lost it but she nodded to say he hadn't.

"He thinks we should kill the Wendigos. But since I doubt there's anyone else like that flamethrower dude, he said we should go back up there and kill them ourselves." Sam said to Matt.

Mike gave her a look and then looked back at Matt who put his hands on his face and then rubbed his eyes.

"Okay so what I'm getting here is- we kill them. Which isn't too bad of an idea. But you guys? Us. We can't. We don't even have anything to do it." Matt said to them.