16: Uneasy

Mike and Sam had been staying at a nearby hotel after their encounter with the Wendigos at the mountain.

Sam hadn't been speaking too much. Only when she had to.

Mike would wake up in the middle of the night to her screaming and wanted to go to her, say something or do something. But he couldn't.

He knew Sam wanted her space, something she had always had. She was the most isolated of the group. She could take care of herself.

Mike had always thought this. That Sam was strong. She was quiet for the most part. That night on the mountain was the one time where she had really opened up to him.

Then in the hospital she was still in that mode. Or thats what he had thought. Now she was quiet again. Just like she had been.

He had nightmares sometimes too. Of everyone. Sometimes him at the Sanatorium, with no way out. And sometimes back at the lodge.

Ever since they had revisited the mountain, seen those Wendigos, they all consisted of them. He was either running away from them, or back in that damn lodge.

Having to stay as still as he could.

Sometimes he wouldn't make it out of there. Other times, he would but he would be the only one to get out.

Mostly, his nightmares consisted of Sam. Dying. Always. More recently they had been. Before, at the hospital, it was just him. But now they all had Sam in them.

He looked up from his bed and to the hallway leading to the bathroom where Sam was taking a shower.

She had been reluctant to do so, but Mike promised he would make sure nothing happened to her.

He wasn't entirely sure what had happened before he found Sam tied up in that chair in the basement of the lodge, but he knew she had been through a lot.

Josh had been chasing her, Chris and Ashley around the whole night, only to get revenge for his sisters. And then almost die himself.

Mike sighed at the thought and shook his head.

He got up from his bed and walked into the hallway to the bathroom and leaned against the wall. He still heard the water running.

He concentrated on it. It was the only noise in the whole room. After a few minutes he could faintly hear Sam.

He thought she was talking to herself at first but then he heard her sobbing to herself.

He walked over to the door to the bathroom and leaned against it.

She turned on the sink to try and drown herself out, but he could still hear her.

He put his head to the door with both hands on it. I'm sorry Sam. He wished that he could be there for her.

More then he already was. But there was nothing more he could really do.

He felt himself tearing up at the sound of Sam breathing through her sobs. He stopped himself and then put his hand to his head.

"Hey Sam?" He called out. She didn't answer for a minute. "Sam." He said.

He was right against the door as he did. "Ye- yea?" She stuttered.

His heart broke at her voice. Trying to hide her pain. He knew that all too well.

"I'm right here okay?" He said. Nothing came from the other side of the door as he turned and sat against the door.

"Okay." She said quietly.

If he had been an inch away then he wouldn't have heard it. He looked at his finger and bent it up and down again.