43: Return

Only a few minutes had gone by since Josh had hit his elbow on the sidewalk. He hadn't been able to move it.

Emily had helped him stand and walked him to her car and then started to drive to the hospital.

His elbow was bleeding through his shirt.

~~~~

It only took a few minutes of speeding and blowing through stop signs to get to the hospital in the least amount of time possible.

Josh had been writhing in pain the whole time they drove. Every bump. Every hole. He felt it all.

"Please! He fell and I think he might've broken his elbow! He's bleeding!" Emily screamed as she walked in through the front doors.

Doctors rushed over to him and realized she may be making a bigger deal out of his injuries then needed.

They saw his bleeding but saw where all of the blood was coming from and then they realized that maybe Emily wasn't making it a bigger deal then it was.

Josh was ushered down the hallway with Emily followed a little bit further behind him but was stopped at the doors by the receptionist.

"You have to wait here honey." She said to her.

Emily didn't say anything and put her hand to her forehead. "Shit." She whispered to herself.

She sat down in one of the chairs. Similar to the ones in the hospital they had all been rushed to the night they had been rescued from the mountain.

"Shit. Shit shit shit." She said to herself over and over.

With every doctor that came out of the doors Josh had gone through, she jumped. None of them were coming to talk to her but she wished they would. She was so worried.

She hadn't really seen what had happened except Josh hitting his elbow but the doctors had looked worried once they saw his arm.

She had waited there for hours. There had been no news and there had been no one to talk to.

A few more minutes passed before a doctor came through the doors to talk to her.

"Hello miss I-." The doctor started to say something to Emily, but she didn't even give him a chance to continue his words.

"Where is he? Is he okay?" She asked him, cutting him off. The doctor sighed and then motioned for her to sit down.

She did so and he sat in the chair next to her. "Your friend has some serious injuries. He just got out of surgery and he will be fine." He replied to her frantic questions.

He clapsed his hands in front of him as he said this to her, leaving her a few seconds to think about what he said. Surgery? He went into surgery? She thought to herself.

"Now, what is your name?" He asked her. She had her hands clasped just as he did but she had her face down, looking at her shoes.

"Emily." She answered quickly, having answered the question multiple times. The most recent time being the interview. "Your name. What is your name?" She remembered them asking her.

Then, she hadn't wanted to answer. Now she knew that if she didn't then it wouldn't help her at all.

"And that boy. What's his name?" He asked her. She took in a deep breath and then sat up to look at him.

"Josh." She answered him, keeping eye contact as the man nodded at her response.

"Can you tell me what happened?" He asked her. She tilted her head from side to side, she didn't even know what had really happened to him.