31. Elaborate

A few minutes after their conversation, the group broke into pairs. Sam and Mike staying in the kitchen and Jess and Matt in her room.

Jess had walked into her room on her own, with her hand on the wall to keep her balance.

Matt had watched her go and waited a few minutes before following her and seeing if something was wrong. He opened the door to see Jess laying down on her bed with her hands on her sides, trying to feel her ribs.

Matt gave a concerned look that Jess wasn't paying attention to. He sighed and leaned in the doorframe as Jess looked up at him.

"What's up?" Matt asked. Jess scooted over a little bit and patted the spot next to her. "I could ask you the same question." Jess replied.

Matt tilted his head and then sat down next to her and kept his eyes forward.

"What happened back there?" Jess asked him. Matt gave her a look as he crossed his arms.

"Back where?" Matt tried to avoid. Jess wasn't about to allow it.

"Don't try and move around the question. You know what I'm talking about. What did you mean by that guy?" Jess asked.

Matt took a breath again and then looked down at his legs. "He just gave off a weird- I don't know. Feeling. And there were all these rooms with no lights on but there were heart monitors in there. And that guy was the only doctor or person there besides me." He explained.

Jess furrowed her eyebrows at his words. It did sound weird the way he had explained it. "It was like it wasn't real. I felt like I was dreaming. It was just really weird and I don't know. It made me feel like we should leave. And I still feel like that." Matt said.

Jess nodded as she tried to understand what exactly could've been making him feel like this. She thought maybe he could be leaving out something that he didn't want to tell her.

She looked over at him and he tried avoiding her gaze with everything in his power. Eventually though, he felt he had to look at her.

"And that's everything?" Jess questioned. Matt bit his lip at the question. Then looked away from her and to the side of the room.

"I heard this thing fall from behind me and when I turned to look at it, I saw someone. Or something. I'm not really sure. But there was something there. And it just moved really fast and I couldn't catch it. Then that guy showed up and I had kinda forgotten about it until I had to walk back." Matt finished.

Jess sighed and put her hand to her head and slowly sat up.

"Shit. What is that supposed to mean? That there's something down there?" Jess huffed and then turned and put her legs over the side of the bed.

"Now I understand why you want to leave." She said.

Matt stood up and walked to her side of the bed. He put his hand out for her to help her up.

She took it and then got up off the bed. "I should be better soon. Then we can go."

"Jess, you can take your time. You went through hell on that mountain. We both did. But I got a little lucky."

Jess chuckled at his sentence. "A little?" She asked.

"Okay well, maybe a lot." Matt answered back. They both smiled at each other as Jess put her head on Matt's shoulder.

He had only taken a second to wrap his arms around her. He wasn't sure if he should or not because of what she had done with Mike.

He still thought about it from time to time. What was right for him to do and what he should think about before doing.