13. Survive

"Fuck." Mike stopped dead in his tracks and looked to Sam who was behind him.

She stopped as well. Without a word. Waiting to see what Mike had seen. Or hear it herself. She listened with her eyes shut just so she could hear without any other distractions.

All that could be heard was Mike's labored breathing. Sam opened her eyes and looked towards Mike. He had his eyes tightly shut. Sam looked in front of him and only saw the wolf they had befriended.

The only thing that she could hear was the shrieking behind them from the Sanatorium. She moved her head slowly back to look behind her and saw nothing.

She turned herself around and again, nothing.

"Mike." Sam whispered. He flinched at the sound of her voice.

Sam walked over to him. "Mike, come on we have to go." Sam said as she took his hand.

He had both his hands in fists but at the contact they both broke.

Mike's head shook violently as Sam took a step back.

Mike opened his eyes and looked around. He looked at Sam with a dazed expression. Sam shook it off, telling herself she would ask about it later.

"We gotta go." Sam said as she went in front of him.

Mike nodded and continued right behind her as the duo ran down the trail. There was no sign of Wolfie from what Mike could see.

He assumed that the wolf had left after seeing the Wendigos.

Mike and Sam were a few minutes away from the lodge after running for a while and the two stopped together so they could take a few breaths before continuing.

"So we're going to leave them here huh?" Mike asked. Sam shrugged.

"Well what else should we do?" Sam asked.

She looked over to Mike who shrugged also. Getting rid of them was the best option to him, but how? That was a question he couldn't answer.

"I don't know. We should tell someone they're here right?" Mike asked.

Before Sam could answer, a loud scream was heard from where they were headed. "Shit." Sam said.

Her and Mike continued slowly.

Even though they had just been panting and out of breath, it was almost as if they weren't breathing. Each step they took was as silent as they could have it be considering the snow was still underneath their feet.

Sam was in the front and turned a corner to see a Wendigo amidst the rubble of the building. As soon as she saw it, she stood straight up, not moving a muscle.

Mike hadn't even turned the corner but stopped as well when he saw Sam had.

He was a foot away from her. He closed his eyes.

Not because of the sound or because he was afraid of what was in front of him. He was scared of what had happened.

He had only been so far from Jess and yet she had been jus out of his reach. He couldn't grab her hand or try to get her away from that- thing.

He took a deep breath quietly and opened his eye. The more he closed them the more the scene would replay in his head.

Jess's scream was worse then anything he had ever heard. Even the Wendigo screams.

Mike moved his head forward an inch to peak around the corner to see the Wendigo Sam was seeing.

He could hear Sam's breathing, getting more and more panicked. He placed his hand on her back, just out of the Wendigo's sight.