Chapter Four

"I'm thinking we should hang out sometime and get to know each other

"I'm thinking we should hang out sometime and get to know each other. You know?"

I've found out that Amy has a thing for the phrase 'you know' or 'ya know.' Over the course of a week, I've learned a lot about her. Things like she grew up in a two story, white picket fence home. She has two parents, an older brother, a younger sister, and two dogs.

Every lunch, we end up going together to the same place. Though Amy can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, her company has been nice since I've moved to the city and started at No No Technologies. On the other hand, I'm wondering when I'll grow used to sleeping alone in my own apartment. Things seem to not be getting easier.

I spend most of my nights tossing and turning with thoughts full of panic and doubt. Without my family around, it constantly feels like I have no one. They may be a phone call away, but their lack of presence is different for me, new for me. It doesn't help that I've been depriving myself of sleep. Some days I stay overtime so I can get my work completed—at least enough so I'm not as stressed. That leaves me having no wind down time once I get home. Coupled with my restlessness, my days feel longer and longer.

Since today is Monday, I'm hoping for a fresh start this week. With a hot chai tea latte in my hands, I exit the elevator and head to my desk. This time, I'm here early. Amy is absent from her desk, meaning I'm here before her. She's in the break room, or the bathroom. It's a different sight and feeling to not hear Amy's usual perky greeting. Nevertheless, I continue to my desk.

Setting my drink down, I shuffle to my boss's office and knock softly. Hearing no reply, I repeat my actions. My shoulders slump as I realize he's yet to be here. I release a breath before heading to the break room to prepare a coffee for him. Lots of cream, lots of sugar, which I would have never expected Mister Novak to like. Serves me right for assuming.

When I return, Amy is now here. She's just setting her bag down and taking her jacket off when I walk up behind her.

"Fancy seeing you here," I say, smiling. Her eyes widen comically, as if this is the first time she's heard me talk.

"Sutton, you're here so early! Did the warden put the hammer down? That man is one beautiful creature, but I promise you he hates everybody," she rambles, blowing a strand of red hair from her forehead. "I mean, he's gotten nicer from like a month ago, but I genuinely have no fucking idea why. Ooh, sorry, language. Totally not ladylike, ya know?"

Tilting my head to the side, I furrow my eyebrows. My mind trails back to the day I saw a blonde walk into Mister Novak's office. Even in all my naivety, I'm smart enough to know when a significant other is the reason for a mood change. Maybe she's his.

"I don't think he's bad, but I do get a lot of work. I mean, that's obvious, since this is a job." I sheepishly rub the back of my neck, looking away awkwardly.

"Whatever, you're just too nice to say anything bad. That's okay, Sutty, I'll be a bitch for the both of us."

"Don't call me that, please," I tell her softly, my cheeks reddening. Old memories dig up in my mind of a time I've tried so hard to forget.