Chapter Thirty-Nine

Before long, a year has passed

Before long, a year has passed. The chill in the air—and my room—duplicates when I first moved to the city. Whipping winds cause trees to careen. The sound is so loud I can hear it from my place under the warmth of my covers. My window creaks from the chill as the apartment makes settling noises that only unnerve me. A year of living here, yet I'm still not comfortable with the place.

My loud phone blares from the nightstand, signaling it's time to wake up. Peeking an eye open, I look towards it as Seren leans over me to turn it off. When the noise stops, she settles on top of me with a stretch and a sigh. I wrap my arms around her and am proud to welcome the warmth that emits from her body.

"Mm, you have to get up for work. You're going to be late again," she mumbles against my neck, giving it a soft kiss. "Last day before the wedding, right?"

"Yeah," I answer, hugging her tighter to me. "Then Chandler is taking the week for their honeymoon."

"I bet they're going somewhere really fucking expensive. Sienna doesn't look like she'd settle for just Hawaii."

"The fact that you can say just Hawaii baffles me." I laugh and shake my head. "Maybe if you said just California or just Colorado. But Hawaii?"

Seren giggles. She pops up and folds her arms against my chest. "I mean... for fucking millionaires, Hawaii is like here for us. They're probably going to Fiji or some shit like that. Okay, but seriously, get up."

"I think it's you who doesn't want me to go... you're kind of prohibiting me."

Smacking lips is my reply as she rolls off of me. The cover falls to reveal a pink nipple and part of the chest tattoo Seren got a few months ago. Goosebumps cover her skin as her body meets the cold of the room and she pulls the cloth back over her.

I bite my lip as I watch her get comfortable again. There's nothing more that I want than to stay and experience Seren's body on top of mine again. As images pass through my mind of what we did last night, I want to relive it all.

With a sigh, I force myself up. Cupping my naked member, I sprint to the bathroom to escape the chill. A shower should wake me up and hopefully get me into a less carnal mood. But fuck a cold shower. It's too brisk for that today.

"Want me to join?" Seren yells from her place on the bed, and I can just make out the laugh in her voice.

"No," I squeak before clearing my throat and repeating the word. "I think you may have turned me into a thirteen-year-old little boy who has just discovered porn."

Her twinkling and giddy laughter greets me. "Don't say fucked up shit like that, Sutton. It's weird."

With the shower hot, I step in and sigh as my tense muscles relax. Last night, Seren and I had decided we'd be adventurous. With unfortunate luck, it's left me feeling way too sore and like I need to stretch before each strenuous activity we do. Kind of sad, really.