Chapter Fourteen

We pull off the freeway after twenty minutes

We pull off the freeway after twenty minutes. I didn't think we'd go far. In total, we're maybe forty-five minutes away from my apartment. It actually feels kind of good to be out and about. The restaurant comes up quick. Only ten minutes later do we arrive and park. Looking at the structure with 'Golden Vines' clear as day, I grow weary. This place looks as if one meal is the same price as my rent.

With open windows that allow natural sunlight in, I can see people dining with their companions. From where we sit, it's hard to make out any decorations, but the clean white paint of the outside and the italicized sign are enough to go off of. Casting my worried gaze to Seren, I'm surprised to already find her watching me.

"I... I can't afford this place, Seren." The admittance is humiliating. Having to tell her that isn't what I wanted to do. My thoughts for brunch would have been somewhere more affordable.

"Did you forget that I said this was my treat?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. She presses a hand to my cheek. The action is bold and unforgiving. "I don't want to hear some shit about you being a guy so you should be the one to pay. Nor do I want to talk about splitting bills or shit like that. Understand? I'm treating you because I want to, Sutton, so nut up and let's go."

Fruity perfume blows into my face as I watch her turn and leave the vehicle. In a daze, I stay sitting until she knocks on the window. Then I climb out and scurry to her side like some kind of lost puppy. Lifting her hand, she grabs my arm and begins guiding us to the entrance. Next to her, I'm nothing but a scrub who is somehow lucky enough to accompany this woman. No doubt about that.

I pull the door open and we walk in, me after her. Sweet and salty smells mix to assault my senses, and I salivate at all the delicious scents. The chatter is low in this place and soft background music plays. Golden decorations complement the white walls and cream tablecloths. Waiters and waitresses walk around with graceful strides, checking on their patrons diligently.

"Reservation under Belmonte," Seren tells the host, her voice low and confident. It causes a shiver to run down my spine as my imagination from earlier decides to make an appearance.

After finding what I'm assuming is Seren's last name, the host leads us to a table in the back. It's a bit more private than the rest of the restaurant, making me a little more nervous.

With menus handed to us, the host leaves, turning on his heel and letting us know someone will soon be with us. Now left alone with Seren, I have no idea what kind of icebreakers to use to... break the ice. I've said it so much, but this woman is on another level. She makes me tingle, makes me more nervous than ever before. I keep my eyes on the menu, studying it to hide from having to talk and embarrass myself.

"I'm going to be real with you, Sutton." Looks like I don't have to think of anything after all. Seren's words pull me from my frazzled mind. I face her with wide, focused eyes, waiting for her to speak.

When she goes to speak again, our waiter comes by, asking us for our drink orders. Seren snags an orange juice while I ask for water. Seeing the prices of this place, water is the cheapest thing on the menu, but even that still costs a couple of bucks.