Chapter Six

In the end, Amy and I ended up at McDonald's

In the end, Amy and I ended up at McDonald's. While walking the city streets, our indecisiveness led us to this place, which is a hundred times unhealthier than sandwiches at Jessica's. Yet neither of us mentioned the amount of fat we're digging into. It's now an unspoken agreement to never mention this. Though I like McDonald's, so it's more for Amy's sake than mine.

"Oh my gosh, I forgot. There's this new club that's opened up." Amy slams her burger down on the yellow paper. Her brown eyes widen as she stares at me excitedly. "Sutton, we have to go together. Don't you think that would be really fun? And we can dance and sip on drinks."

Scrunching my nose, I shake my head. "I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not really a big crowd type of guy. I think I'll have a panic attack on the dance floor."

Despite how serious my words are, Amy laughs and shakes her head. "You're so silly, Sutton. You'll be fine and you have me! I can ward off any cougars that step your way."

I can't tell if Amy is joking or not. A smile is on her face, but she looks away from me quickly. She fiddles with her fingers, playing with her thumbs. Under the table, I can hear the clacking of her heels. She's obviously nervous, but I have no idea why.

"Yeah, I don't know, Amy. When would we even go?"

"This weekend, duh! Like as soon as possible. I'd suggest tonight or tomorrow, but I have a feeling you aren't a fan of playing on work nights," she answers, returning her gaze to me. "So? What do you say?"

"Sorry, I can't." I give her an apologetic smile. "I kind of have plans for this weekend and I don't think I'll have the energy to go to two different places. Plus, I'll be broke by the time this weekend is over which isn't good because I need to go grocery shopping."

Amy glares at me, but it's nothing serious as she fights a smile. "Fine. But next week, you're all mine, got it?"

I'm not sure what to say. Two weeks ago, I had no friends. Two weeks ago, I could barely talk to strangers let alone a full-blown woman. Now I have plans this weekend and Amy wants to hang out the next one. It feels weird to be wanted as a genuine companion whereas before it was to be the butt of a joke.

"I... okay, why not?" I agree, nodding my head.

Amy claps her hands together, startling a couple across from us. They shake their heads and turn away, annoyed. Together, Amy and I laugh as we gather up our trash. I watch the perky redhead with a smile on my face. She's genuinely my first ever friend and honestly, I don't think I would change her or things now.

***

The week passes a lot faster than expected. Thursday and Friday felt like minutes instead of hours. It's Saturday night now and I'm freaking out. Chandler Novak will be here soon to retrieve me. All I'm doing is sitting on my bed when I'm supposed to be getting ready. My stomach is clenching uncomfortably in nervousness. It's enough to make me feel physically sick, like I can't handle the heat.