Chapter Twenty-Three

Light presses against my lids, bright and natural

Light presses against my lids, bright and natural. Moaning in dismay, I pull the covers up over my head. Turning to my side, I feel arms wrap around me and a body pressing into my back. Kisses are trailed up my flesh, causing me to shiver even though it's not cold.

"Good morning," is whispered against my back before a tongue trails a path up. "I made breakfast, so let's get up, yeah? Then we can go for a walk or watch a movie or something."

Nodding, I turn and envelope Seren in my arms. She smells different from a fresh shower, and her hair is still wet. Opening my eyes, I push the covers away so I can take in the sight of her.

Her amber eyes glow from the bright rays of the sun. Her honey-colored hair is pushed back so the wet tendrils don't fall in her face. An oversized t-shirt covers her with nothing for her bottom. Seren looks magnificent, even if she's comfortable.

My stomach growls once I register the savory bacon smell of the place. Embarrassed laughter leaves me. I pat my bare midsection and look down.

"Do you mind if I also grab a shower?" I'd hate to be grimy while having breakfast with a minx present.

"Go for it. Don't take too long or the food will get cold."

After my speedy shower, I find my bag sitting on Seren's bed. While getting dressed, I take the time to survey her room, which is something I wasn't able to do last night.

The walls are painted beige; the regular color when you first buy or rent a place. Painting lines her walls, filling the area with emotions and character. A beach front, the Eiffel Tower, and a dark forest. Each different and with individual color schemes, but still somehow fitting to each other.

A television sits mounted on the wall and under is a simple black dresser with a couple of miscellaneous items on top. Her bed, which we kind of christened last night, is queen-size. A black and white comforter set makes it up. I can't help thinking about how well the two of us fit on it together. Comfortable, content.

I leave her room and make my way to the living space where Seren sits. Her feet are tucked under her as she watches whatever is playing on the tv. When she sees me, she moves to get up, but I stop her.

"You didn't eat yet?" I ask, earning a shaking head as an answer. "I'll make both of us a plate, okay?"

We smile at each other before I head to the kitchen to get both of us some breakfast. The smells are nice and mouthwatering. Again, my stomach grumbles.

I hand her a plate before settling next to her. As soon as the dish is in her hands, Seren stretches out, placing her feet over me and resting her back against the armrest.

"Favorite show?" she asks, breaking the comfortable silence.

Licking my lips, I glance at the tv. It's not anything I recognize, so I shrug. "Uh, not sure. Haven't watched much tv."

"Why is that?"

"Well, remember how I told you my mom worked a lot? On her off days, we'd spend time together; going to the park, playing cards, things like that. Instead of watching tv, we engaged with each other. We also only ever had one and most of the time, mom was watching the news."

Seren tilts her head to the side, smiling. She reaches over and rubs my cheek. "The more I learn about you, the more I can't believe you're real."

"Good thing?" I breathe, trailing my eyes over her eyes, petite nose, and luscious lips.

"Very good."

We spend the rest of breakfast getting to know each other. Upon asking about the paintings in her room, I learn her younger brother painted them, which comes as a shock to me. He's even younger than me at twenty years old and is going to college for art.

That's something we have in common. Both of us have siblings we love dearly.

Hearing Seren talk is a gift. She speaks with such eloquence that it's hard for me to look away. Each sentence that leaves her mouth is full of certainty and confidence. Reaching into myself, I wonder if I'm jealous... but I can't say I am. If anything, I'm beyond impressed to be in the presence of her.

She's truly amazing.

***

Seren and I stand in front of my apartment. Our lips graze each other as we hold each other in a tight embrace. It's night out now. The whole day was spent with Seren and me getting to know one another. We didn't go for a walk, but we did sit around and talk all day. The two of us, we couldn't keep our hands off the other.

We didn't quite do anything dirty, definitely no sex, but there was a lot of groping. At one point, Seren had ended up straddling me as we kissed. Whatever this is, the honeymoon phase, it's nice and I don't want to leave it anytime soon.

"Mm, have to go. I'm working tonight." Seren pecks my lips, breaking the kiss. "I'll call you, okay? We can go out again. Somewhere nice, okay?"

I don't let her go, but she's right, she has work. Like earlier, I reach inside myself to find any animosity towards Seren's occupation. There's nothing there to warrant any feelings of jealousy. Not when I know she's a grown woman and can look after herself. Not when I know the two of us are in something together.

"Yeah." I nod, but go in for another kiss. "I love this... being with you, holding you."

Seren laughs, pulling away fully. She goes as far as to take an enormous step away from me. "I love being with you too, Sutton. But I need to go. Listen, I'm working until the club closes at two in the morning. I won't be able to—"

"I'll be up," I tell her, interrupting but not meaning to. "I'll make sure I'm awake, I promise."

Biting her bottom lip, she smiles before nodding. She whispers, "Okay." Then Seren steps forward and plants a kiss on my cheek before turning away. "I'll call you then. Bye, pretty boy."

I follow Seren back down to watch her get in her car. This is a suspicious part of town and I'd hate for something to happen to her. Once she's out of sight and down the road, I take my steps two at a time. All the while, a smile remains on my face.

The smile stays for the rest of my night until I get a phone call at two in the morning. It stays by my head throughout my talk with Seren as I ask about her shift and listen as she tells me about things that happened.

Closing my eyes, I imagine her. She's getting dressed to go home, then getting into her car. The phone connects to her car so she can drive hands free. The drive is long, but she gets there quick. Out of the car and into her apartment, Seren and I talk a little more before she hangs up.

"Goodnight," we whisper to each other. The line goes dead, but her voice lingers in my head.

I think I may be in love.