Chapter Thirty-One

*Trigger warning: emotional chapter*

"Well, if it isn't little Sutty Anstein."

Davie Samson stands before me, his bulky arms crossed in front of him while Taylor Whitfield hangs off of his arm. The smile on her face is nothing but wicked as she watches me. Her eyes narrow once Seren grabs my hand, at this point already seeing my sudden mood drop.

"You left years ago, and would you look at that? You're back." Davie laughs, shaking his head. The posse behind him follows along.

"Just visiting," I mumble, my voice stuttering and causing me to become embarrassed. After all this time, I still can't stand up to my old bullies.

"And here I thought you had run away," Taylor says, stepping forward. Even though she's addressing me, her eyes are on Seren. She sizes her up, her brown eyes narrowing even more. "Back to see us, Sutty? I missed you terribly."

I'm taken back to six years ago when Taylor first noticed me. All of our classes were basically the same, which meant we kind of followed each other around. That didn't include lunch when we'd go our separate ways, but during the other periods, we were together.

One day, she took one look at me and told me to leave her alone. That was right in the middle of a crowded hallway and she wasn't afraid to use her lungs. I remember being so embarrassed and stuttering out an explanation. I—I'm in all your classes. She didn't care, and neither did anyone else in her group.

The bullying got worse after that. Not only was I Sutty the freak, I was also labeled a creep, a pervert, and a desperate little virgin. And when she started dating Davie, life just became unbearable.

Until I left.

On the chance I sound like a jerk, seeing them here in the same place, with the same people, I'm proud of who I am. Davie Samson is still living in this small town and dating his high school girlfriend while hanging with his high school friends. While there's not really anything wrong with that, I'd like to think that I made something out of myself. I got away, and I have experienced so much that comes with life.

"And anyways, who is this? Don't tell me Sutty has a woman." Davie laughs, and it causes a domino effect among his friends. I see that hasn't changed in the four years I've been away.

Despite my eyes being on Davie, I can just tell the face Seren is making. She's not at all amused by the people standing before us. When she takes a step forward, I want to pull her back and shield her from their terrible words. But I know better than that. Seren is a grown woman and she's far superior to me.

"I'm nobody's woman. I'm not an object, so don't make it sound like Sutton owns me." Her words are calm, but firm. She talks down to Davie as if he's a child and with how he acts, I reckon he is. "The term you're looking for is significant other. Yes, I am Sutton's significant other, but I really don't think that's any of your business.