Chapter Nineteen

Wherever we're going, it's the same distance as the restaurant Seren took us to on our first date

Wherever we're going, it's the same distance as the restaurant Seren took us to on our first date. It seems the city doesn't hold many activities that require open spaces. Part of the drive was filled with low music and just the soft sound of the engine and other passing cars on the freeway. But now, now I want to take this time to talk to Seren. Hopefully, without my awkwardness.

Clearing my throat, I glance at her. "How was your day?"

Seren smiles ever so slightly as she chortles. Her gaze remains on the road before she takes a second to look at me. "I had the first shift today at the club. Nothing major. Daytimes at the club are sometimes dead, but you'd be surprised how many businessmen come there for their meetings. Nothing like half-naked women shaking their tits and asses to go over transactions."

Her words should surprise me and make me blush, but somehow, they don't. I believe if it was anyone else, I'd have cowered in embarrassment by the crass and vulgar language. But not with Seren. She makes me feel mesmerized.

"So, not a hard day?" I ask, giving her a small smile. It comes off weird, I can feel the awkwardness on my face.

"No, I had a good day. I was just getting off when I called you earlier. Had to get dressed and everything."

So, that's what those noises were when she had called me. Nodding, I face the windshield and gaze at the gray skies before us. A shadow is cast, making it appear darker than before as thunder clouds roll in.

"I talked to my boss today. Um, I'm an assistant for Chandler Novak, you know, anyways... I actually stood up to him." It feels good to say out loud rather than in my head. And telling someone something accomplishing is always nice.

"Really, now? And what did your boss say to make you stand up to him?" She grins, looking over again. One of her hands moves from the wheel to rest on my leg. The action is so casual, so comfortable, it's like we've been together for years.

But alas, I debate whether or not I want to share with her the reason I snapped at Chandler. Sharing his view on her may make Seren feel less than and I would never want that. Though looking at her, I imagine that she's strong. Much too strong to get upset over something Chandler Novak has said. I know my answer.

"He was uncomfortable with your occupation so he tried to warn me about you," I say, sighing, though it comes out more like a huff. Crossing my arms, I sit back in my seat. "I thought I was over it, but who is he to say something like that? Why does he care so much?"

A laugh surprises me and I look over at Seren, completely flabbergasted. The sound is beautiful, but this is not a laughing matter. When I ask her why, she only shakes her head. "You're a sweetheart for standing up for me, Sutton, but I'm a big girl. I promise I can handle myself. Besides, he's not the first person to comment negatively about my job. A lot of people do and unfortunately, that'll never change. It doesn't hurt anymore."