Chapter Eleven

Gagging and rushed steps rouse me from my sleep

Gagging and rushed steps rouse me from my sleep. My back aches as I turn over and reach for my phone. It's just hitting eight in the morning and outside lacks the sun I desperately want. Struggling, I lift myself from the hard, carpeted floor. With a groan, I rub the soreness, trying to will it away. Much to my discretion, nothing happens.

I waddle to the kitchen, my steps slow and drowsy. My eyes aren't open all the way and I can only see blurry figures, but I make it enough to switch the light on. Amy's retches are loud, carrying through the thin walls. I'm sure my neighbors can also hear it. I'll have to worry about that later. After grabbing a cup from the cabinet, I reach into my fridge and grab a bottle of Great Value water. This is the only thing I can offer her, as I don't have Advil or Ibuprofen.

"Amy?" I call her name once I walk to the bathroom. Knocking, I wait for her to pause and answer.

"Jesus, I'm so sorry, Sutton," she shouts before another round of gags sound through the door. It makes my stomach clench from the loud and disturbing noise. "Like, this is so embarrassing, ya know?"

I want to tell Amy she shouldn't feel any embarrassment, but the words are stuck. How I acted last night... I was kind of a jerk. My attitude was atrocious. I acted as if I had other plans, which I did, but that's beside the point. Amy is nice to me and the least I could've done was pretend to have a good time.

Sighting, I twist the knob before pausing. "I'm coming in, okay?"

When she grunts her reply, I walk into the bathroom. The rancid smell burns my nostrils. Fighting back a cough and gag of my own, I set the cup of water on the counter. Then I head to Amy and begin rubbing her back, not sure what else to do.

"I totally ruined the night, right?"

"No, not at all." I shake my head, though she's not even looking at me. While I wish I could have slept naked in my own bed, the floor wasn't that bad. "Really, you didn't. It was a great first time at the bar."

Faster than my eyes can move, Amy whips her head up. Her face matches her hair with her cheeks being flushed from her getting sick. Her mouth is wet and her eyes are glossy. Some of her vomit seems to have ended up in her long hair.

"Your first time at the bar?" she asks, repeating my words. Furrowing my eyebrows, I nod my head and give her confirmation. "Oh my gosh, how could I be such a bitch and ruin your first bar night?"

"You didn't! Here," I push the water towards her, "drink some of this. You'll feel better. Do you want a shower? I don't have any girl clothes, just mine. I also don't have an extra toothbrush."

"Why are you so nice, Sutty?" She sighs, grabbing the glass from the counter.

Don't call me that. The words are on the tip of my tongue. I refrain from saying anything since she's just been sick. Instead, I shrug and face the mirror.

"We're... friends," I mumble, turning and smiling at her.

Amy sips the water before grinning at me. "Hell yeah we are."

***

It takes a couple hours to air out my bathroom and the rest of my apartment. With the laboratory being windowless, I had to let the smell waft around my apartment before getting it out of the window I do have. With no air freshener, it took a lot longer than I'd have liked.

I shake my wet hair after climbing out of the shower. My plans tonight are to finally go to Hidden Desires so I can hopefully see Ariel once again. Since I went with Amy last night, I can only hope and pray my dancer is there tonight and that Saturdays are regular days for her. If not, then I have no clue what I'll do.

Settling on my bed, I pick up my phone to see two missed calls from my mom. My heart soars at seeing her name since it's been so long since I've talked to her. Calling her back, I listen as it rings.

"Sutton, baby," my mother greets into the phone, her voice cheerful, but I can still detect the tired tone of it. "Honey, how are you?"

"I'm okay, mama." I sigh into the phone, happy to be talking to the woman who birthed me. "I've missed you. Every time I call, you aren't home."

This time it's her sighing into the receiver and not a good one. "I know, baby. I've picked up some shifts. I'm sure Dustin already told you they're raising our rent, so I'm having to work double to keep up."

"You know I can help, right?"

When I left for college, my mother made it very clear that she didn't want me worrying about bills at home. Because she started working when she was so young to provide for Dustin, she always says she doesn't want me to have to break my back to help her out. I would say the same for Dustin if he wasn't so strong-willed. He could have graduated from college already with either a good job or even a position on an NFL team, but he chose to help mom out. I'll always admire him for that and feel guilty that I didn't stay to support them too.

"Sutton Avery, you know good and well that I will not mooch off of my youngest son. I have a hard enough time pushing Dustin away to have to worry about you too." She scoffs and I can imagine her shaking her blonde head.

"But I want to, mom, I don't want you breaking your back to pay for a house that isn't even really worth it, you know?" Seems I've been hanging out with Amy a little too much.

"That isn't your responsibility, baby. You have a life out there to worry about, food, rent," she lists off. "Have you even bought furniture yet?"

My lack of an answer will be confirmation enough for her. We got paid yesterday, but I haven't even bothered to check my bank account to see how much the direct deposit is. To be frank, I can't even remember how much I'm making. That's how much I'm not worried about it. Or maybe that's just how stupid I am.

"Sutton, I need you to not worry about us on the other side of the tracks," my mom says. Her words leave a foul taste in my mouth. The other side of the tracks is not a term I would use. I'm still with them, they're still my family, yet I feel like I'm being pushed away from my roots. By my own family too.

"Mom," I mumble, shaking my head, now frustrated. "Please, let me help you guys. I promise I'll have enough to eat and pay my rent. I don't need furniture right now as long as I have a bed."

"Sutton—"

"Please! I'm not taking no for an answer, no matter how many times you say it."

The other line is silent save for a couple hints of static. Then she sighs and I know that I've got her now. While my mom is a firm woman who stands for what she believes in, she'll always be putty to her kids. Lucky for her, we're respectful.

"A couple of months until Dustin and I can think up a spending plan. After that, I'm cutting it off. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am!" I answer, smiling wide.

We talk for a little longer before hanging up with parting words of 'I love you' and 'I'll call you later.' By the time the conversation is over, it's only just after noon. A groan of frustration leaves me as I think of what to do until night comes.