Chapter Twenty-Four

The passing week tones my mood down a lot

The passing week tones my mood down a lot. Amy is still acting odd and treating me as if I ran her dog over. She avoids eye contact and chooses to have lunch with others instead of me. I'm slightly upset that this is causing me to become sidetracked from the amazing weekend I had with Seren.

Sighing, I focus on the computer screen before me. My Wednesday has been full of answering emails and making appointments per Mister Novak's schedule. The man himself is surprisingly out for the day. He only dropped by once to drop off his personal planner, which I didn't see why at first. Once I read it, I realized he planned for me to get a gift for his fiance; Sienna Emerson.

The two have still kept it under wraps, much to my astonishment. They really don't want their relationship getting tarnished by the media and I can respect that.

I take a sip from my water bottle and answer yet another email. I've already had lunch and half of my burger sits wrapped on the side. Music sounds through my cheap dollar store earbuds as I work. It's usual for me to stray from my phone at work, but it's a pleasurable distraction from the office drama.

When this email is complete, I lean back against my chair and sigh. Looking up, I'm startled by Amy standing in front of me with crossed arms. Her bubble gum pink lips are in a smile and her light brown eyes are squinting.

"Amy?" I clear my throat, tilting my head to the side in confusion. "What's up?"

"Wanna hang out tonight?" she asks.

Taking my eyes from her, I look from side to side. We haven't spoken in a while, yet she's here now to ask if I want to hang out? No explanation accompanies her question. I purse my lips, now upset. It's a strange feeling since I've never had friends to fight with. The bullies from my past don't count as they're bullies and anything that left their mouths were insults.

"Um..." I freeze up, not knowing what to say. The anger I was feeling evaporates, instead leaving me with a swirling pit of anxiousness.

Amy raises an eyebrow, tightening her arms. "Now you can't hang out? Seriously? Does your new girlfriend have you on that tight of a leash?"

The anger returns tenfold. It's one thing for Amy to speak to me like that, but to talk about Seren? That won't stand. Not when she doesn't even know the woman who holds my heart. If I knew Amy was this spiteful, I don't think I would've ever become friends with her. I feel like I've taken a one-way ticket back to high school.

But before I can defend Seren, Amy says, "Why don't you call her up and bring her along then?"

A headache forms. This is a strange situation and I feel like I'm walking into a trap.

"I don't think that's a good idea, and it's a work night."

Amy scoffs and shakes her head. I've never seen her act this way. Both of us come from small towns and I used to think Amy was different. Now, she's resembling the mean girls from my hometown more and more. How long will it be until she's hurling insults at me?