Chapter Eight

Chandler stands once the show is done, but I stay rooted to my seat

Chandler stands once the show is done, but I stay rooted to my seat. I can't remove my eyes from the stage, not while the little mermaid is still circling my mind. A small laugh sounds from above me, but I ignore it.

"Sutton, are you okay?" Chandler asks, but it sounds further away. I glance up at my boss, shaking my head to rid the spell I'm under.

"Who was that?" I question, my blue eyes wide in astonishment.

And he studies me, making me uncomfortable. "Listen, Sutton. That was a stripper, okay? I suggest you clear away whatever false feelings you're experiencing."

"Not false," I mumble, looking around and hoping to spot Ariel wandering around. "She watched me and I watched her."

With a sigh, Chandler pats my shoulder. "Listen, I'm going to go look for Chance. He's probably wasted and vomiting in a toilet somewhere."

Without waiting for a reply, Chandler makes his way to the bar. I only nod, even when I realize my boss has already walked away. Facing the stage, I look to where the timer sits. Will there be another show? Will I see Ariel again? I can't help the questions that swirl around my head. I'm infatuated and as the seconds pass, I think it may be love at first sight.

"Sutton, listen, we have to go," Chandler says frantically, coming out of nowhere. He motions for me to get up, but I don't. All I do is look at him with furrowed eyebrows, wondering why our night is being cut so short.

I shake my head. "No, I think I'm gonna stay."

"Fuck me," Chandler mutters, frustrated. The skin between his eyebrows crinkles as he furrows them. "I don't have time for this. Chance is missing and we need to go find him, Sutton. Let's go."

"No, you go." My voice is soft as I shake my head once again. "I'll be okay, really. I'll get a cab home soon, but I can't go now."

We're quiet and Chandler stares at me. His green eyes reflect confliction. They jump to the exit quickly before turning to me. Perhaps he's afraid to leave me alone because he sees me as weak. Perhaps he's afraid something will happen to me because he only sees me as this nervous, anxiety filled kid. But I'm putting my foot down now.

"Alright, listen—" Chandler pulls his wallet out. "I swear to God, Sutton, if I don't find a text on my phone at midnight, you're fired, then I'm going to the police."

His claim surprises me. I never expected my boss, Chandler Novak, to show he cared like this. And looking at him, I see it's just as much of a surprise for him as it is for me. Chandler hands me a couple of bills, then storms off. He needs to find his cousin, so I'm not upset by his new lack of presence.

Shaking my head, I snap out of my blank stare. I look around and reprimand myself in my head. Why the hell did I say he can go without me? Now I'm in an unfamiliar place, and it may be near impossible to hail a cab when the time comes. Letting out a sigh, I stand and stretch before looking around once again. Maybe Chandler is still around so I can catch him.