Chapter Thirty-Three

I think I've found a proper groove to this life

I think I've found a proper groove to this life. A month has passed since Seren and I visited my family in Crystalwood. While I do still have moments of doubt and sadness, Seren has kept up with her promise. It doesn't take her long to pull my mind off of that awful encounter with my old bullies. She'll take me out, show me a good time.

One of those instances landed us in a random drive through theater that was two hours away from her apartment. After a quick look on Google for places near us and this was where we went. Now, it's like a tradition for us. We try to go every so often, especially when they play older movies from the eighties and nineties.

We've learned that shoving salty, buttery popcorn in our faces is a great way to bond for the two of us. I wouldn't change it.

Work has taught me more things too. Because Chandler has been working from home more, a lot of responsibility has been set on my shoulders. My hours are the same, but the workload during office time has grown. I've found that I've taken on a bigger role in the company as Chandler's assistant. Others may not see it as this, but I almost feel like I'm his partner rather than his puppy.

As I now stand in my apartment after a long day at work, I realize that this place isn't really my home anymore. I just about live at Seren's place now since all our time is spent together. Her place is furnished too, so of course we'd spend more time there; even if both our jobs are here and my place is closer.

My place is still bare, save for a single cheap lawn chair I bought to fill the living room. It doesn't do much other than stick out like a sore thumb. Shaking my head, I laugh to myself as I walk to my room. My clothes fall off my body in a trail, leading to the bathroom. The drains squeak when I turn the shower on.

The hot water washes away the stress from today's work day. Dropping my head, the liquid drenches my hair, causing it to fall down the side of my face along with droplets. With a deep breath, I take a moment to enjoy the silence and being alone.

It doesn't take me long to get my body clean. After a quick wash, I step out into the steam-filled bathroom. When I enter my room, Seren is sitting on my bed, her eyes glued to her phone. Her blonde hair reaches her shoulders now in a mess of waves. She wears lounge clothes; gray sweats and an oversized t-shirt that looks an awful lot like mine.

"I'll be fast," I tell her, taking long strides to my closet. "Are you getting a haircut like you wanted?"

"Nah, I'll just let it grow out. See how I like it long, and if I hate it, I'll get a chop." I imagine her shrugging while my head is shoved in my closet.

"You'll look beautiful either way," I mumble, rifling through my clothes. "Should I dress up for the club? I feel kind of weird dressing down... but I also don't have luxurious clothes."

Arms wrap around my waist and her head is shoved into my back. Alarm bells ring in my head as I drop what I'm doing to comfort my girlfriend. Turning in her arms, I stare down at her with concern. Seren is never closed off, but she's never very clingy. We cuddle and keep close, but something about this feels off.