Chapter Seven

They turn and make the trek to the front door

They turn and make the trek to the front door. It confuses me to see as it's not a typical club entrance. Nothing about this building looks like a strip club. At least it looks nothing like what's shown in movies. Rather than an obnoxious and flashy sign, there's nothing. Not even a name.

"This is the place?" I ask, looking around in confusion. "There's no name or anything..."

"It's called Hidden Desires. Most people don't know about it because it's for the exclusive," Chandler tells me.

Chance knocks, and it opens to reveal a muscled guy in all black.

He stares hard at us. "Password," he grumbles, his voice deep and commanding.

"Sugar cubes." Chance shoves his hands into his pockets.

The bouncer opens the door wider, just enough for each of us to slip past. What we enter is dark. I can make out the door shutting and bolting behind us. A hand grips my shoulder in a firm grasp, pushing me forward. It startles me, but I don't have time to process the fear as we come into an opening. Dim, pink lights cast a glow over the large room we walk into. To the left of where we stand, a large stage sits. A red velvet curtain is closed at the back of it. At the foot of the stage is a pole that's bolted down, shining with low lights.

Tearing my eyes away, I notice a lot of other small stages sitting around. Girls stand on each of them, dancing around to the soul song that plays. Men ogle each dancer, enjoying the half-naked women in their vicinity. Every fellow here dresses with impeccable style in suits, some more casual than others. Right across from the door is a bar which is a straight walk to.

"I'm going to get a drink," Chance mutters, his eyes dark and brooding. Since the ride here, he's been down, at least from what I can tell.

Staring after him, I wonder just what can have his mood like this. Thoughts of doubt creep up and cloud my mind as I assume I'm the problem. Turning to Chandler, I ask with my eyes, pointing to myself. But he shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

"He's going through a lot right now," Chandler admits. Unexpectedly, he throws an arm around my shoulders and begins leading me to the far left where the main stage is.

I stumble as he pulls me with him. Sweat beads up on my forehead from how nervous I am and I know I'm as red as a blood apple right now. If I'm being honest, I may be near hyperventilating a bit.

"Why are we here?" I stutter out, despite receiving an answer before. Clearing my throat, I continue, "I don't understand. Isn't this beyond inappropriate?"

Chandler pulls us to an abrupt stop. He raises an eyebrow before turning his face towards me. "Why would it be inappropriate?"

"Well—" I blink. "It's just... you're my boss and I don't know if this is the right business etiquette."

The ground becomes a lot more interesting as I turn my gaze towards it. A deep chuckle causes me to look up. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch my boss laugh at me. This is now the third or fourth time I've seen such a reaction from him. Each smile and laugh I have to keep track of as many reactions as I can.