Chapter Ten

The sound is too loud

The sound is too loud. Upbeat music plays and people jerk around in a drunken haze to the melody. My gulp is audible as I step all the way into the bar. Since the both of us had to drop our things off at home, I'm meeting Amy here. Besides that, I'm still preparing my mind for a night on the town. Going home and changing hasn't given me much time to get in the right mindset.

Beer and aftershave irritate my nose, causing me to sneeze three times in a row. It's stale and bad in this space, overwhelming my senses. Wiping my nose, I push through the haze of smoke, cheap liquor, and cheap cologne. I breathe through my mouth as I squeeze past two patrons who are choosing to have their talk in the middle of the walkway. Breaking through them, I find Amy at the bar, a pink straw pressed between her lips as she sucks down what looks like Polar Blast Hawaiian Punch.

She spins on her stool to face me, or rather the crowd. That's when our eyes connect and she waves, her features lighting up in excitement. From the looks of it, she doesn't care that she looks kind of odd or like she's downed ten of those drinks.

"Sutton!" Amy calls, her smile wide and happy. It allows me to take notice of her signature red lipstick, blemish-free face, and black-coated eyelids.

Amy has really dressed for the occasion. Her breasts almost spill out of the silver sequined top she wears that ends an inch above her belly button. A black leather jacket covers her arms. I'm happy to see that she at least chose to wear jeans for tonight. It's pretty cold out and I could see my breath come out in puffs while walking into the building.

"I'm so glad you came. I almost thought you wouldn't," Amy states once I take my seat on the stool next to her. I'm not late, she's just here very early. "I'm so ready to let loose and have fun. Chandler has been up my ass all fucking week."

I blink as her words loop around my head multiple times. The unknown sailor's mouth catches me by surprise. Even with all of our lunch dates, I've never heard such vulgar language leave Amy's mouth. It's hard to imagine such a delicate woman saying such things. Then again, I wouldn't have labeled the sweet face of my Ariel as a stripper. But I've seen the seductive smile on her lips as she stares at a room full of raunchy men. Judging a book by its cover isn't always right.

"Chandler?" I choose to take the route of work. That type of talk comes easy to me. Personal life, not so much. "Mister Novak?"

Amy reaches forward for her drink and downs the rest of it, ignoring the pink straw. She nods as she gulps the sweet liquid down. "Yeah, I like to call him by his name outside of work. Makes me feel like I'm really sticking it to the man, you know? He's just been coming down on me about phone etiquette or whatever."

"I thought he seemed happier, calmer?" I note, furrowing my eyebrows. And I know it has to do with his fiance. "Maybe you just caught him on a bad day?"

Amy shakes her head. Her hand flies up as she motions for the bartender and spouts off her order for a margarita. I now know that's what she's been sipping on. "I think he's just an ass. Anyway, enough work talk. It's ruining my buzz." She looks over at me, her eyes taking in my whole figure. "You look really good, Sutton. Like... really good."