Dinner

June 27
     Minjung waited outside in jeans and a pink button up with white flowers that was one size too big tucked into her jeans. A black belt looped around Minjung's waist. Her mother came with in the white sundress with pink tulips patterned on it she had worn earlier in the day to surprise Minjung.

      The daughter smiled when she saw a familiar car drive up. She entered the car breathing in the new car smell. Minjung hugged the side of the door and kissed the frame of the window. "I missed this car."

       "And you didn't miss your mother?"

       "Of course I did Umma but you kinda make it hard not taking my calls or texting me back. It made me feel lonely." Minjung pouted.

       "I'm sorry. But I'm here now!"

"Yeah that's true. So where are we going to eat?"

       "Nothing special. But guess where I'm taking you?"

       "Uh..... idk.... to grandma's?"

       "No but we can go after. I here there is a pretty good Thai place."

      "Pad Thai??"

      "Yup."

"Wait!!! Since you're a chef..."

"My restaurant isn't open. It hasn't been in a long while."

"But maybe we can go to one of your worker's house."

"Minjung! That's rude. You can't just drop by with out notifying someone."

"You did earlier."

"That was a surprise."

"Exactly. We can go to maybe Chef Koki's place and 'Surprise!'"

Minjung's mother knocked her head whiling laughing. "You're like your brother."

Minjung smirked as she looked out the window. "We're siblings after all. We have the same blood."

The car became silent. Minjung's mother focused on the road ahead as she sat still slipping her headphones on. Just as she was to turn on the music, her mother asked a question. "So, how is life? What did I miss out on?"

"I wrote a song called Pretty."

       "I am very proud about that! I showed it to everyone I know."

        "That's great." Minjung mumbled.

        "Are you alright?"

        "I'm happy that you are here on my birthday, but I needed you when Oppa died. I wanted you here so I could hug you or have someone. I understood when you went to him but I didn't understand why you would stay."

        "If it were up to me I would've came back."

       "Then...."

        "It's part of the reason I came back." her mother said. She pulled into an apartment building. Minjung turned to look at her mother. Her eyes darted around the unfamiliar dark parking area.

      Every car in the parking spot was filled. As far as Minjung could see, there was no vacant spots. Conveniently, her mother turned the corner and brought the car to a stop at the open spot.