Chapter 17

Jake's POV

"She kicked! I felt her kick!" I said loudly and excited as I removed my hand from Amy's stomach. We had been laying there for 20 minutes, waiting for her to do the very thing she just did.

Amy just laughed at my reaction and it made my heart swell. She looked so pretty. "I know Jake! I felt it too!"

Ames got comfortable on my bed as she curled up to me, arms enveloping my torso and her head on my chest. I ran my fingers through her silky brown hair and squeezed her tight until it hurt. I was getting better, after all, it had been 4 days since I woke up, bringing the total amount to basically a week. Amy was 25 weeks pregnant and our daughter would kick all the time now. Our daughter. Wow. I still couldn't believe it. I was going to have a baby girl with my beautiful wife. It was a thought that always kept me smiling.

"What's so funny Jake?" Ames asked me, peering up at me from my chest. I smiled even wider and pressed a kiss into her head while I hugged her again.

"Nothing babe. I just can't believe that soon our daughter's going to be here and that she's going to have an amazing mom." I whispered to her and watched as her face lit into the prettiest smile I had seen. She leaned up to kiss my cheek and untangled the curls in my hair.

"I love you so much Jake. And don't forget that she'll have an amazing father too. It's a guarantee." She said laying back down on me.

"It's a guarantee title of your sextape!" I said laughing, before wincing in the pain it caused me and clutching my abdomen. Amy just giggled as she hid her head in the crook of my neck, and I could feel her smiling into me.

"I love you so much too babe. Can we talk about something?" I quietly asked her, nervous of how she would react to the question.

Just like I expected, she immediately rose up to eye level and placed her soft hands on my face. I could see her eyes grow full of worry and searching my face.

"Of course, Jake. Are you okay?"

I let out a forced laugh to break the tension and kissed her hand. "Yeah Ames. Don't worry, I'm fine."

I propped myself up and Amy dropped her hands, leaning on me.

"I wanted to talk to you about the 99."

"What about it Jake?" she asked me, still confused as to where I was heading.

I took a deep breath and sighed, trying to figure out what I was trying to say.

"I think, that when our beanie is born, I should quit the NYPD." I said in one breath.

Amy sat up straight away and looked at me shocked. "Jake! Why would you do that!? You love your job!"

"Ames... I could've died. I want to be there for you and our baby girl. I want her to know how much I love her. I also don't want you to ever go through what you did again when I was in that coma. I mean sure, I love my job, but I love my girls so much more. I talked to the squad and they told me how you were. It killed me!" I admitted as a few tears trickled down my face. I wiped them away but not before Amy saw them.

She leaned into me and kissed my forehead before rubbing my shoulders.

"Babe. I understand how you are feeling. When you were in that coma and I didn't know when you were going to wake up was one of, if not the worst moment in my life. But you're here now and I'm so happy. You will be there for our daughter and she is very lucky because I know how much you already love her and she isn't even born yet! Jake, our jobs are dangerous but we've always found a way back to each other, and I know we will continue to. You're not quitting your job, because it was your dream to be a cop, and you're an amazing one. I don't want to talk about this anymore, okay? I love you." She told me, ending her point with a soft kiss on my lips.