Chapter 19

Jake's POV

I woke up with a painful prickling sensation in my back and clenched my teeth, grunting. Slowly, I gently grabbed Amy's head off of my chest and onto her pillow beside me so that I could sit up. I looked down at her and was overcome with happiness. She was always so pretty when she slept. When I knew that I hadn't woken her up, I reached over to my bedside table where my pain medication and a cup of water was for just the occasion.

This had been a routine for me in the morning ever since I had come home from the hospital a week and a half ago. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled that I was getting better, but the wound in my back hurt so bad some nights. Usually Amy would wake up with me and help me, but I didn't want to wake her up today, especially because she was up so late last night working at the 99. I looked at the clock. I was up at 8 30 on a Saturday morning. I figured I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore so I got out of bed quietly and kissed Amy's cheek before walking into the bathroom. Luckily, I had changed my bandages yesterday so I didn't need her help to do it today.

I took my time getting ready for the day and limped down the stairs thanks to my bruised knee. After grabbing a bowl of sugary cereal Amy would definitely not approve of, I sat down at the table and pulled out my phone to text my best friend.

Hey Charles! Want to hang out today? I got something I want to discuss with you.

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long, because Charles loved texting people, especially me.

Hey Jakey! Wow you're up early! Sure, I can hang out today! Where and when!?

Great. Meet me outside of Shaw's at 12 30. see you soon.

BYE JAKE SEE YOU SOON!!

I put my phone down on the table shaking my head at how over the top Charles could be. An hour later I was watching the early news on T.V. when I heard the stairs creak. I looked behind me to see Ames wobbling her way down the stairs wearing nothing but my hoodie that extended down to her knees. It was really cute and I couldn't help but smile at the sight. I got up and rushed over to the stairs, grabbing her hands and helping her down. At almost 27 weeks pregnant, stairs were no easy task.

"Good morning beautiful!" I said, placing a sweet peck on her lips. She snared her arms around me and pressed her face into my chest while I gave her a little squeeze. We just stood there and swayed back and forth, relishing the moment.

"Morning babe. Did your pain wake you up early again?" she asked me yawning, still a bit tired.

"Yeah, but don't worry Ames, it's getting better." I told her seeing the worried look in her eye that I was very familiar with.

"Are you sure?" she insisted, her hands now stroking my neck.

I smiled and kissed her again. "Positive. Now go sit down, I'm making breakfast for you."

Amy smiled back at me and kissed my cheek before she sat down. I turned around and leaned on the counter behind me.

"Hey babe, sorry for telling you last minute but Charles and I are hanging out today. I hope that's okay." I let Ames know, placing her breakfast in front of her.

"That's fine Jake. I'm spending some time with Rosa today remember?" she said giggling at me.

I sat down across her and laughed with her. "I guess not."