Chapter 29

Amy's POV

"Ames, this tree is so big! I knew we should have gotten a smaller one!" I heard Jake call out from the living room.

Chuckling, I walked into the room bouncing Mackenzie on my hip to see what all his fuss was about. Despite all his endless complaining, my husband had somehow managed to fit the huge tree under our ceiling. Now he had moved on from struggling with the Christmas tree to struggling to untangle the Christmas lights.

As soon as she saw Jake, Mackenzie started to laugh and outstretch her hands, clearly longing for her father. She wiggled in my grasp, trying to get free.

"Okay, okay baby." I said kissing her cheek and putting her down on the floor before she tried to leap out of my arms. "Looks like someone is coming for you babe." I told him placing my hands on my hips.

Jake turned around and beamed, reaching his arms out towards Mackenzie as she crawled over to him. "Come to dada, Mack! That's it, keep going!" he cooed to her, and she let out a series of giggles. When she got close enough, he scooped her up and kissed her tiny nose, before holding her close to him.

I put my hand over my heart and softly smiled, feeling overwhelmed with the cuteness overload in front of me. Jake held Mackenzie in one hand before walking over to me and throwing a hand around my shoulders and kissing my head. We turned to the tree and sighed.

"Wow Jake. You really suck at putting up Christmas trees." I laughed.

"Yeah, yeah, well it's only the 1st of December. I have time." He chuckled, not sounding as confident as he was trying too.

"Besides, Mack's having fun with just the ornaments anyways." He added, nodding down at her who was fondling with a plastic red ornament in her tiny hands.

I shook my head and kissed his cheek, and then collapsed onto the couch behind us.

"Ames, we're not done the tree yet! How am I supposed to set it up and hold Mack!?" Jake asked me with a hilarious look on his face.

"I don't know Jake, you'll have to figure it out. I had a long day at work, and since you had the day off, YOU can do all the housework today."

Jake pouted and looked down at our daughter he was holding. "Okay princess, who's the cooler parent? Me or mommy? Who's the cooler parent!?" He whispered to her, tickling her feet while she kicked her legs in excitement. He grinned at her reaction, kissing her cheek and turning to me.

"Well, it looks like our daughter's decided Ames. I'm obviously the cooler parent." He said proudly.

"Babe. She's 5 months old! That doesn't mean anything! I told him, supressing my laughter. Just like always, Jake refused to admit he was wrong, as I expected.

"Nope, you're just jealous Ames." He said, sticking out his tongue. Mackenzie stuck hers out too, copying him, which of course he loved and then proceeded to brag about.

"Honestly Jake, how is she going to mature around you? I asked humorously, taking her out of his hands.

"That's what you're for babe." He told me sneakily.

"I'll take Mackenzie, you focus on finishing the tree." I said walking out of the room.

2 hours later, Jake was putting the finishing touches on the tree when I came back into the room. To give him credit, the tree looked amazing. It was sparkling with colourful lights and beautiful ornaments, including ones we had made for each other last year in a class we took. (A class I forced him to take) On top of the tree, was a bright, golden, star that shined brightly.

"Wow babe, the tree looks great, but I fed, changed and had a nap with Mackenzie and you're only just finished now." I teased him.

He stepped back, admiring his work. "Ha-ha Ames. Trimming the tree is a Peralta specialty. It takes time!"

I sat down on the couch and invited him to sit as well. He sat down and sighed heavily, raising his arm so that I could lean on his chest, while pressing Mackenzie close to mine.

"This Christmas is going to be so different Ames." He said quietly, staring lovingly at our daughter.

I kissed his chin and hugged him tight. "I now Jake, it's really exciting. Mackenzie is going to love it. Aren't you baby! You're going to love it!!" I whispered tickling her stomach, as she squirmed around with a smile on her cute and round face.

Jake let out a chuckle and kissed my cheek. Leaning his head on mine, he held out his finger for Mackenzie to grab and hold.

"Don't worry Amy, Christmas will be extra noice this year." He said, smiling at me.

Hey guys!! I know, this one's kinda short but Chapter 30 will have the whole squad on Christmas!!! As usual, thanks for reading, and Christmas is comin up!! :)