xii

"HM?" EREN ASKED HER in disbelief, "pardon?" he added, furrowing his brows at his daughter who only smiled at him like a cheshire cat. you were seated beside the little girl as your eyes also widened in surprise; the waiter who just asked about your order stood there awkwardly with an awkward smile plastered on his features as his eyes shifted from kiana to you, then to eren. what the fuck is happening? the waiter thought to himself.

"a-ah, ma'a-" he was cut off, again, but this time, by the little girl's father.

"why do you ask, kiana?" the german asked, as collected and as composed as he could be. after all, someone's innocence will be ripped away from them not until fifth grade, so eren wished for kiana to not be knowledgeable of that not until she reached grade five.

"you and ms. y/n could have one!" she happily suggested, "in that way, she could be my mommy and i would have a sibling," she added, her tone of voice still as cheery as before. you only blushed crimson red and looked down onto your lap as you thought of many ways in attempt to change this awkward topic, while eren only cleared his throat as he eyed his daughter. and the waiter? well, he's a lot more awkward now, gripping the pen and paper closer to his chest as he shifted his weight from his left leg to his right.

"u-uhm, sir?" the waiter called out to eren, "m-may i take your orders?" he kindly reminded the german as to why he was here, standing awkwardly.

eren slightly shook his head, "ah, yes. right," he added whilst turning to look at you then asking you of what dish you wanted to eat for lunch, then to kiana afterwards. the waiter listed all of your food and beverage choices and walked off to the kitchen counter to leave the note there for the chefs, behind the wall, to prepare.

the only thing that could be heard was the soft chatters of the other customers inside the place since not any of you three talked, or even initiated a conversation. that was until kiana spoke up. "daddy? i wanna pee," she informed her father who immediately stood up from his chair and took hold of his daughter's hand. "okay. let's go," eren told kiana as his eyes searched for your own before saying, "we'll be back, y/n."

you immediately turned to face him, "u-uhm, yes. go a-ahead," you continued, "i'll b-be here waiting," you added as there was a smile tugging on your lips.

eren nodded his head in response, and with that, they walked off to the nearest restroom. as they were out of sight, you immediately called the brunette, hange zoe.

ring. ring. ring...

ring. ring. ring...

c'mon, hange, answer the damn phone, you thought, subconsciously curling your free hand up into a fist as you impatiently waited for the said woman to pick up the call.

"hello, bb?" you heard hange say, "are you okay? what happened?" she added.

"finally, took you long enough," you said, like you were out of breath since you were trying to calm your fast-beating heart.