xvii

YELENA STOOD UP FROM her small couch as she sighed for god knows how many now

YELENA STOOD UP FROM her small couch as she sighed for god knows how many now. she couldn't wrap her mind around the thought of the implementation of zeke's plan as gore as it could come out to be.

making her way towards the small cabinet she had inside her room, her fingers grazed the picture of her and her mother as a sad smile crept up her features. the house would've been much more livelier if yelena's mom was there as she could go on and on about whatever new recipe she had learned about despite growing older. she'd always say that learning takes place everyday. she held the small picture frame as a lone tear escaped her eyes as she missed her warmth. it was sad. it was lonely.

"yel, come help me with this new recipe i'm planning to make for lunch," the 52-year-old blonde woman asked of her daughter who was typing away on her laptop in the living room of their home.

yelena only hummed in response as she still haven't gotten up from the couch, her eyes still fixated on her laptop screen as she wished to finish this article by today, the most.

"yel, come here right now."

the said girl clicked her tongue as she sighed right after, deciding to walk into the kitchen since it's been the second time now that her mother's called her.

"what, mom?" she asked, trying to supress the rising anger in her tone of voice.

her mom only looked at her and rested a hand on her hips. "yel, i swear this will be delicious," she told her daughter who only smiled a few seconds later.

"alright, what can i help?"

"ooh, start dicing the onions and the 4 cloves of garlic i've prepared."

and with that, yelena and her mother spent a good time, bonding with each other and cooking the new recipe together. yelena's mother even accompanied her when she was busy on the article she needed to submit as soon as possible, offering her anything like tea or hot choco; chocolates or biscuits.

that day was well spent.

.

"mother!" yelena exclaimed in horror as she witnessed her mother collapse onto the floor of their home when she had greeted her daughter and welcomed her from work.

the blonde woman ran to her and called for help.

ring. ring. ring.

ring. ring. ring.

"fucking answer," yelena hissed through the phone all the while gripping it tightly as her other hand held her unconscious mother.

"yes? good evening," the lady from the other end of the line answered.