36 || flipping coins

"so how's your drink?" jihoon looked up from sipping at his glass of water at the nervous soonyoung who was sitting across from him at the small table they were at. they had already finished ordering their drinks, if water even counted as an order, and were just served two glasses by a waiter.

it took the two quite a while to decide on a place to eat lunch at. they met up at jihoon's apartment dressed up casually, although jihoon had a good time making fun of soonyoun's neon green fedora, before beginning to walk through the city.

soonyoung desperately wanted to eat sushi for their first date, but jihoon wasn't up for eating raw fish so they settled for eating at a small seafood noodle restaurant.

"it's water soonyoung, it tastes like water." jihoon deadpanned at the brunette for being so awkward with him. he found it quite cute how soonyoung was suddenly anxious because of this being their first date (ofc he didn't tell the older male that, it would only boost his ego).

"well money doesn't grow on trees, I'm not buying you a fifty dollar drink jihoonie." soonyoung furrowed his eyebrows at jihoon who was relieved that soonyoing seemed to lose some of his nerves.

"okay but iced tea is literally three bucks and plus aren't we splitting the check?" the shorter male wanted to provoke soonyoung a bit more to get him more in his comfort zone. the two did enjoy their occasional bickering and it did help distract both parties from the fact that this was a serious date.

"you're crazy if you think I'm letting you pay on our first date-" soonyoung was interrupted by the sound of a small laugh coming from jihoon. "and you're crazy if you think I'm letting you pay. I'm perfectly capable of paying myself!"

"how about we flip for it? heads you pay for the night and tails I pay." jihoon saw no flaw in that idea and so soonyoung got the apporoval he needed to start flipping a quarter in the middle of a crowded restaurant full of people confused by the couple.

the quarter landed on heads to which soonyoung stood up and cheered to. he waved his fists in the air and started moving his body in odd ways (he claimed that he was doing his victory dance afterwards) while jihoon looked at him, completely dumbfounded.

"you asshole, you wanted me to pay all along!" jihoon shouted out, causing people around them to stare. soonyoung didn't reply, he only laughed hysterically at the pissed off younger male. "you know you're really not funny right?".

soonyoung only continued to laugh at the shorter male, which just continued to make jihoon bite his lip out of annoyance. it was at that time that the waiter had returned to their table with their bowls of soup.

he looked oddly at the couple sitting across from each other, jihoon mouthed that he didn't know who soonyoung was which of course didn't fool the waiter at all (honestly does that line ever fool anyone?) before leaving them alone to enjoy their meals.

"oh jihoon we both know I'm the life of the party, that's why you like me so much." soonyoung picked up his soup spoon and lightly sipped at the boiling hot liquid in front of him.

he winced at the first spoonful was and proceeded to blow at the second spoonful he was now scooping up. meanwhile jihoon had a light scowl on his face as he picked up his chopsticks and started picking out the beef in his soup to munch on. "you're never gonna let me live that one down are you?"

"no way jihoonie." soonyoung grinned proudly at his date. he made eye contact with jihoon as he spoke again, making sure that the latter heard every word he said. "you told me you like me, so like it or not you're stuck with me now."

jihoon let out a tiny breath that sounded a lot like a scoff of bitterness. he looked down at his bowl and played around with the noodles, stirring them around to try to deal with the sudden atmosphere of weird  awkwardness at their table.

soonyoung looked down at his bowl as well, trying to blend with his date, but then got distracted by the very attractive looking stew in the bowl and started to just dig into the meal. that's why he was very surprised when jihoon decided to break the awkwardness by speaking up.

"oh I like it alright, but I don't like how big it's making your ego you big doofus." with that being said, a flustered jihoon looked up and couldn't help but match smiles with a very flattered soonyoung.

= = =
tbt the first and only date I've ever gone on where me and my date argued about who would talk to the cashier (yes we're gen z 😔and sadly there was no second date ;-; )