chapter forty-three

Emily

Harry had ended up staying for an extra two days after he met my family. And of course, those two days flew by and before I knew it, I was standing at the airport with him. Harry had said goodbye to Niall and Molly at the apartment, so it was just the two of us right now.

Harry and I were sitting on the airport seats, me with my head on his shoulder and him with his arm around my waist. I'm sure he was uncomfortable because it was squished against my back and the hard seat, but whenever I made to move Harry pulled me back to my original position.

"I don't like thinking about how this is our last moments together until I see you next" I sighed, readjusting my body that Harry didn't pull back for the first time. Harry hummed in response, but I could tell he wasn't fully with me now. I looked up to him. "Harry?" He looked down at me, no longer in his own little world anymore. "What are you thinking?" Harry opened his mouth, then closed it again. I placed my hand on top of his, silently telling me he can tell me.

"It's just- what if... what if this didn't have to be our last moments for a while?" Harry said, looking down at me. I sat up fully, crossing my legs on the seat and turning to face him.

"What do you mean? We can't-"

"I mean, what if you moved in with me?" Harry asked. I paused, not expecting for Harry to say this. His eyes lit up and I could tell he was still thinking about it. "I mean think about. We would live together, we'd still get to see each other every day, my house wouldn't just be my house anymore... unless we bought a whole new one. Then we could design it together however we wanted. We could even-"

"Harry" I cut him off. He looked down at me, a smile on his lips that appeared before. "I- I can't move in with you" I said quietly. Harry's smile disappeared in the blink of an eye.

"Why not?" Harry asked softly, obviously not expecting this reaction.

"Because Harry" I replied. "All my family live in Ireland, all my friends live in Ireland, I run a cafe in Ireland! It would never work" I sighed. 

"Yes it could! Think about it, It-"

"I am thinking about it Harry, and... I'm saying no. I love you so much and as much as I would love to move in with you, it's just never going to work" I said. Harry pulled his hand out from underneath mine.

"It can work Em, it-"

"No Harry, it won't work. I've told you I can't so just drop the conversation" I said, raising my voice slightly louder then needed. Harry's eyes flickered in between my own as he stayed silent. "I'm sorry babe, it just won't be able to-"

"Flight 341 to London, flight 341" Harry stood up, his eyes not leaving mine. 

"Goodb-"

"No" I cut him off, standing up as well. "We are not departing like this. I don't like fighting with you and I don't like getting frustrated. Can we please sort this out" I pleaded. Harry stopped, his eyes still trained on mine.

"I love you" Harry said before turning and walking away. My breath hitched, not expecting for our goodbye to go like this. No kiss goodbye. Not even a hug. No 'I'll miss you'. 

I watched him walk away until he got to the start of the terminal. He stopped walking and I could tell he was going to turn around. But then he started again and disappeared down the terminal.

I fell back on the seat, my eyes beginning to well up from what had just happened. I realised I may have been a bit hard on Harry, but I knew that moving to London with him would never work.

. . .

I walked back into the cafe, hurrying up the stairs. I regretted not bringing my phone with me to the airport, but I hadn't thought I'd need it.

I rushed into the apartment, running passed Molly and Niall who I'm sure had both instantly realised something was wrong. I shut my bedroom door, hurrying to my phone and pulling up my contacts.

I don't know why, but all I wanted to do was call Mum. I pressed her name on the screen, bringing my phone up to my ear. It only rung four times before she picked up.

"Mum" I choked out, falling onto the floor and leaning back against the end of my bed.

"Sweetie, what's wrong? What's happened?" It was clear she already knew that there was something wrong.

"Harry asked me to move in with him. But- but I said no and then we kind of had a fight and now he's on a plane and he's leaving and I don't know what to do Mum. I just- I just don't know what to do" I said, as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"You mean he got up and left because you told him you can't move in with him?" Mum asked, both confusion and anger rising in her voice.

"No- no he was going back today anyway. But- I just... I think I might have been to hard on him. I told him I couldn't because all my family are here and my business and everything, but he still kept asking" I sobbed.

"Well honey, I don't really know what to say. I think you need to call him, sort this out together" Mum sighed. 

"I- I can't. He's on a plane and I don't think he wants to talk to me right now" I said. I heard Mum let out another sigh.

"Well then once he's off his plane, you need to call him. Communication is key in a relationship and it's not going to work if you two don't talk to each other" Mum said.

"Maybe, I just- not yet at least" I said, wiping away the fallen tears. "I need time to think" 

"Ok, well you can always come over if you want Em. I know Matt is already complaining about how he wants you over here to play Nerf with him and it's only been two days" Mum chuckled. I couldn't help but let out a light chuckle as well. 

"Thanks Mum. I love you heaps" I said.

"I love you too sweetie"

"Say hi to Dad for me" 

"Will do, bye Em"

"Bye Mum" I brought the phone away from my ear, ending the call. I opened up my messages, clicking on 'Lovies❤️' name.

Me: Can you give me a call once you're off the plane and safely home please x

I hovered over the send button, debating whether to send it or not. There was a chance Harry wouldn't want to talk to me at all, but Mum was right. Communication is key and this situation isn't going to sort itself out. I clicked send before I could think twice.

Alright, I'm telling you in advance, you're going to need tissues for the next chapter.