1. The Meet

February

Tuesday

I am a lady, ladies don't run because they don't get late, That's what I thought as I  rush through the streets of Braamfontein to the campus.

I got up early in the morning, how I ended up being late, I have no idea. But I can tell you this, it was bound to happen. I have now concluded that I have a 'take my time' disorder which from my young age, everyone around me tried to cure it, me as one of them. 

Even when I try to get ready in time, time in between just always finds its way to fly like a freed caged bird. I have concluded that my small amount of insecurities might be the reason for this.

This week is my third week as a university student, so far, everything is fine, but not as I have expected. I have always thought everything was going to be fun and life would be simple cause there will be guys around me, unlike boarding school. I was wrong. There are just a lot of guys here, cute guys, more than I imagined, it's so hard to pick, or to be picked. But as I have already penned it down on my diary, I need to get me a guy friend. 

It became our mission to Zinzi (my best friend) and me to find boyfriends since we got here. Getting matured boyfriends was our main aim for coming to university, getting qualifications, came second.

I could see some birds that are the same flock as I am, traipsing around me in their different roads all leading to the school. The moment you arrive on campus, it's a chaos, everyone is all over, running around. Some birds were walking calmly; they didn't have an early lecture to attend, I presumed. As for the late birds, we were rushing our feet like hell.

My first lecture on Tuesday is ILS, thank God, the lecturer is reasonable, unlike others. I heard she is still new, just finished her PhD 3 years ago. She doesn't embarrass anyone when you are late; you just walk in like you own the place. Meanwhile, in the Geology department, some lecturer is making students sing when they are late. I can imagine when there are more than five people late, I bet he might be sitting there watching them sing like he is Randall of Idols.

As I was climbing the few stairs to the biology building, I missed a step, and I stumbled. Well, God really does exist as I didn't fall. Not so much for my books though. I was working on an assignment the night before; the textbooks were the overnight library books, I must return them today. Those three books I was carrying fell off my inner elbow to a stranger's feet. I didn't even realise someone was passing by me until my books hit his feet.

I bent down to pick up the books, and as I was down, I felt my face moving up to see the owner of the feet as they weren't moving. He was still standing in front of me with one book on his left shoe. I slowly went through his every inch of his legs while going up to his torso. He was wearing short pants, so I stuck a little bit on his legs admiring his hairy athlete legs. As I go upward, his chest that I can imagine is pack'y, was covered by a short-sleeve shirt which was buttoned up to the neck. Before I could come back to my senses, he was already bending down to where I still was.

"Let me get this for you," 

Those were the first words he said while his face was closer to mine, those were the words that woke me from my unconsciousness. I picked the other book while he already got the other two. We together slowly stood up just to stand so close to each other. I could already smell his breath, and I could slightly hear his heartbeat.

"Thank you," I murmured, still a little bit frozen from the moment, that's when I started learning his whole facial features. 

I was mesmerised by his skin colour and well-built jawline. He smiled, realising that I was already far away in my world. He handed me the books he picked up, which I had already forgotten about them.