24. The House

July

The week didn't even take much to end, sooner than we thought, my mom was complaining that she didn't even get to see us much and now we are leaving. It was nice though, spending that time with my family, even though it was for one week, I liked it.

I was back in Braamfontein, two weeks to go and the school opens again, I guess I must download more series because 15 days is a lot while doing nothing.

The day started very well in the morning, and I decided to go to the movies. It just came out, and I was waiting for it for forever. As sometimes I do it, I 'checked in' on my Facebook account, just to see others who checked in for that movie and see their reviews.

It was an empty cine; I was alone in the whole theatre. It got a bit scary, but what can go wrong, it was just a movie. I continued watching the film, and I was glad that it wasn't a horror film. Imagine if I were watching something scary, by myself, in a huge open space, I wouldn't survive.

The mall itself was also not packed. It is school holidays, and it's during the week, so people are at work and students are at home. It was just me and some housewives strolling around. I didn't even spend much time at the mall; I just wanted to be in my bed as it was cold. I took a cab back to my place.

"You didn't close for school?" the cab driver asked me after correcting him for mistakenly thinking I'm coming from work.

"I did, and I went home last week, I came back yesterday," I replied.

"Why? You don't like home?" he continued, I guess he was trying to keep the conversation going, but I wasn't in the mood.

"I have to attend some classes," I lied, hoping it will get him to stop talking. I'm sure I don't have any reason to explain myself to a stranger. A stranger, wow, is a different world indeed. Who knew that someday we would be so comfortable getting in a strange car with a stranger and trust that they will take us wherever we want? I mean if I can trust that this person will get me to point B safely regardless of not knowing them, how hard can it be to trust someone I know. I guess that's how humans are wired; we would rather trust a stranger than people we know.

He finally gave me some peace of mind and let me contemplate about my life. Am I ready for the second semester, am I even doing the right course, why is Sihle still hasn't called me today? my thought kept on coming. After some minutes of my thoughts rumbling from this point to the next, I was already thinking of how did I survive high school with only just girls, and with no answer to all my questions, we were in Braamfontein. I help with directing the driver as it was appearing his GPS was suggesting the longer route.

We arrived in front of the building, and to my surprise, I saw Karabo's car parked right in front of where the cab stopped. What is he doing here? I said my cheers to the driver and walked in, looking all around, a little bit excited but surely not showing it. I couldn't see him anywhere. I was convinced that he is with Sihle and Sihle came back to surprise me, or maybe he has a new girlfriend here. The second thought hurt me a little. I would rather see Sihle now than seeing Karabo dating someone in this building. I was about to get in an elevator when the security guard stopped me right after letting me walk past him.

"Your friend is here, in the TV room," he said, pointing to the opposite door of the elevators. Like I was supposed to just dig it from him that he has a message for me. I mean I said 'hi' after getting in, but he was too focused on trying to flirt with me than giving me the most important message, making me think of cruel things like Karabo being here with another girl.

"Thanks," I said and walked toward the TV room. I was fidgeting like hell. I haven't seen him since the night he picked me up from Hazel's blessers. And after that, after calling him to thank him for that, he was mad, saying I broke his heart by continuing with Sihle, so we haven't talked since then.