2. The Friends

February

Tuesday

"Hey Muvenda, vhonaka vhone (you are beautiful)," 

The Tsonga security guard yelled as he tries to break my beautiful home language. And the irony of that... is that I am also not fluent at Tshivenda.

I grew up in Durban, and Tshivenda was the language I rarely speak as I only speak it at home, and I was rarely at home. I am the third born to my parents, the oldest is my brother, Tshilidzi. He is 30 years old and pursuing his studies in Britain, we have kind like gave up if he's ever going to finish. The second born is my sister, Tshifhiwa. She stays around here in Joburg as well, she's 27 and living her own luxury life. I have two little brothers as well, twins, they are 14 years old.

"Tshedza!"

I heard a voice calling me as I walk in the elevator. The security guard was still breaking my language, and I was just nicely ignoring him. I held up the elevator as I realised that could be Sihle, he's the only guy who knows me by my name in this building.

"Hey," I said to him as he joins me in the elevator.

"Hey. I thought you were going to leave me," he gasped under his panting. 

Sihle is a good-looking guy, more like cute and small. He is a little bit shorter than my types (obviously the ones that do not approach me), maybe 1 inch taller than me. He is light skin, a yellow bone if I could say, yellow bones were never my type.

"Come 'on am I that bad? I wouldn't," I defended myself while he reached for the floor buttons, pressing 6 which is the top floor to mine.

"No, you not bad, I was just joking," he said, trying to comfort me. "But at the campus, I really thought you were not going to talk to me,"

"Why would you think I wouldn't talk to you?" I asked him. I know I shut the world out sometimes, but I didn't think this much.

"The thing is,.. I've always wanted to talk to you since I moved here, but you just always seemed not happy to talk to anyone. Today I just took a chance," he said, chuckling.

"Ouch, that hurt. So, I really look like an angry person?" I asked him, how the hell am I supposed to get a boyfriend if I'm not approachable?

"Ha-ha no, you just seem serious sometimes, it was hard to talk to you," he said. "Or maybe is me, I'm just scared of girls so, it's a 50 50 over here," he added while I stepped out of the elevator, gesturing with his hands which I can swear they are softer than mine.

"Bye Sihle, I will try to smile to the world from now on," I said as the elevator door started closing.

"I will call you later," he yelled, and I nodded before the door shuts on his one eye.

I walked in my room, after locking the door; I threw myself in bed, thinking about the mystery guy. The room I have is just a room; it has a bed, a desk, a closet and a unit for food. At least I am not sharing it like many others in this building. My mom managed to get me a 'not sharing' room, she understood I needed a little bit of space. I shared a dorm in the past 5 years, and I just couldn't take it anymore.

After some few minutes, probably an hour of lying down, I woke up and gathered my cooking kit and headed to the kitchen, which is at the end of the passage. Every floor has its 1 big kitchen and bathrooms. This time of the day is good for cooking, unlike after 5 when everyone is back, the kitchen would be streaming with so many girls, gossips and different scent.

I sometimes climb the stairs to 6th floor to cook when is after hours because there's barely people cooking up there. Boys are not a big fan of cooking I guess. Boys and girls are arranged by a floor in this building. The first floor is for girls, second is for boys, then girls, then boys, just like that up to the top floor. The ground level is mostly the staff rooms, laundry rooms and a TV room.