10. The Cheating

April

Tuesday

"Tshedza. Hey," 

I heard a voice behind calling me, that's Henson's voice. Can't he see I'm with Sihle? We were walking back from the campus. Sihle and I both looked back at the same time, at that time, I didn't know what to do. 

"Hey, how are you?" I asked the moment he caught up with us, trying to figure out what to say next. He was wearing very tight skinny jeans with a bit longer African print t-shirt. His legs were very hard not to look at.

"I'm good. Is this your boyfriend?" just like that, he asked, surprising me.

"Oh yeah, this is my boyfriend, Sihle. Sihle, this is, he is a post-grad in Biology," I said, already skipping mentioning his name, which if Sihle remembers, he will know who he is.

"I'm Henson, Biology department. We need more Microbiologists, so someone's got to find them while they still on their first year," he said to Sihle and I could see Sihle remembered him right there. "Oh, and about the other night, sorry for driving her without your approval. We did look for you, and we couldn't find you, she just really needed to rest," he said with his beautiful French accent, and I couldn't tell how Sihle took it, he was mad, and I just nodded holding his hand.

"Nah its cool man. She didn't tell me she wanted to leave I would have made plans," Sihle said, and right then I realised he hated Henson's presence so much.

"Okay. I will see you guys later, got to catch my ride," he said, already running for a car which stopped next to the pavement. Inside there was a guy I sometimes see him with at school, driving. He got in and back on the road the car was.

"You didn't tell me he was a tutor for you guys. I would not have been mad," Sihle said, and I just held on his hand leaning on his shoulder while we walk.

"I thought you knew. He is more like our mentor," I said, and I just thought, who am I including in 'our', I got to call Zinzi when I get home. 'Our' has included her, from now on, Henson is our mentor.

"Hey Tshedza," some girl said as she passed us by with other girls, I didn't know who she was, so I looked at her murmuring 'hi' that came out like a question. "Don't you remember me? From Venda society," she continued, talking in Venda, and I realised she must be one of the ladies who made me join some Venda society group. I almost forgot I have subscribed to it.

"Oh. Nice to see you again," I said, not knowing what to say next.

"Yeah. We have a meeting tomorrow, you should come this time, you'll probably receive an SMS before the end of today," she said, and I nodded.

"Thanks, I will come," I said.

"Yeah, you missed a lot on the first block, you don't want to miss more," she said, smiling and I smiled too.

"I will definitely come this time, thanks," I said, not having a lot to say and then she left.

"So that's how you want to learn your own language?" Sihle asked, laughing, and I softly hit him.

"Come on, at least there will be someplace I will be able to speak my own language, I was starting to forget it," I said, and he just kept on laughing.

"I don't think you ever knew it, babe," he pointed out and we just laugh it off. At least we were off the Henson topic. We continued walking to our building, and when we arrived, we said our good night as I told him I had to work on an assignment, asking for no disturbance. He just laughed and told me he will see me tomorrow.

I was sitting in my room when I received a call from Henson.

"Hey, am downstairs," he said, surprising me, I didn't think he would come.