20. The Results

June

Days went by without hearing from Karabo. I was waiting for my last exam, which was a Chemistry paper. I know I was gonna see him there, and I will finally ask him about his HIV status.

Tuesday

Chemistry exam arrived, and we were waiting to get in the hall. For the Chemistry exam, we write it in Hall 29, the biggest exam hall as Chemistry's class is very big. I was standing with Sihle when Karabo walked toward us.

"I hope you didn't tell anyone about what I told you about Karabo the other day," Sihle said.

"No, I wouldn't," I replied.

"Morning, I haven't seen you both in a while," Karabo said when he joined us.

"Morning. Are you ready for the exam??" I asked, digging something to talk about.

"Are you?" he asked back, and Sihle just shook his head.

"I can't stand you guys talking about Chemistry; I just want to get in and write, not think about it. I'm going to the loo," Sihle said, and we just laughed. He walked to the bathroom, and it was just Karabo and me standing, looking at each other.

"You tried to call me, what did you want?" he whispered.

"Right, so you did see my Facebook message, Why aren't my calls going through? I needed to talk to you about something serious, still do."

"What something?" he asked. Before I could respond, the invigilators were calling us in. we couldn't finish talking.

After the exam, I couldn't see Karabo anywhere, so I tried to call him, this time it went through.

"It appears your contact numbers were blocked," he said the moment he picked up my call.

"Who would do that? Okay, it doesn't matter. I need to see you," I said without wasting any time, Nyiko is definitely the blocker.

"Why? You are tired of Sihle's small di...?" I cut him,

"Karabo please, is serious,"

"Okay, I'm in the library. You will find me here," he said, and I started my long walk to the East Campus to the usual library we study at.

I guess it's time I know the truth. I have been thinking about my life for the past two weeks; how being HIV positive is going to change it. I prayed that Karabo shouldn't be HIV positive; he shouldn't be. I know I should have just got tested myself, but that is way scarier than talking to Karabo.

While I was about to approach the library, I could see Karabo standing outside looking down on his phone. I was glad he was giving me time to see him. I rushed to him, but before I could reach him, I saw Nyiko walking toward him.

She got to him and hugged him, but he wasn't comfortable, he didn't want me to see him with her as he looked around. I changed my path. I didn't want to cause any quarrels with Nyiko. I turned and walked back to my place.

When I got to my place, I called Karabo, but he begged me not to tell him anything as he wants to study for his last paper.

"Let's meet on Friday when I'm done with exam too, we can talk then," he said, and I agreed, I couldn't disturb him on his studying.

Friday

The day arrived, and I had a secret date with Karabo. By the way, tomorrow will be my date with Sihle at the hotel. Finally, I got a text from Karabo; he was on his way. I was ready for him, but no matter which answer I get, I have to get tested myself, for the first time.