Chapter 7

Friday 27th November 1959

Martins Tavern, Washington DC

Jack had his arm linked in Jackie’s as they walked into the restaurant. Jack couldn’t take his eyes off her. She looked stunning.

He was studying the menu when he felt Jackie take his hand. “Jack, can I ask you something?”

He looked up. “Of course.”

“What are we going to do once you’re out on the campaign? I mean you’ll be all over the country we’ll hardly see each other.”

He sighed. “I know but I have a plan. I’m announcing my candidacy on 2nd January.”

“Okay.”

After finishing their meal they walked through Georgetown Park. He turned towards her and kissed her. “I will make this work. We will continue our relationship next year.”

She smiled. “I know.”

They were walking peacefully when Bobby jumped in front of them. Jack gasped. “I knew it!” Bobby exclaimed.

“Bobby!” Jack hissed.

“We told you not to see her anymore, and what do you do?”

“Bobby I can do what I want.” He replied. “Now go away!” Before Bobby could argue he walked Jackie home. “Night Kid.”

“Night.” She smiled. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Yeah kid.” He whispered. “I’ll look forward to it. I’m sorry I can’t stay tonight but I have a possible candidate for a press secretary.”

Jackie grinned. “Good luck.”

He laughed. “I’ll need it, I’d much rather be with you.”

Jackie blushed. “Me too.”

He kissed her hand and walked off into the snowy night.

Saturday 28th November 1959

Jack’s House

Jack was woken by the phone at 3am. “Ugh…” He groaned sitting up. He grabbed the phone. “Hello?” He asked groggily.

“JACK!” His Dad’s voice yelled.

He jumped awake. “Yes?”

“I told you to cut all contact with that woman. Why did you see her again? You know what I think, just end it.”

“I have.” Jack hung up. He hated this. He would prove everyone wrong. He knew Jackie was perfect for him.

He fell back asleep annoyed. He would win this campaign and keep Jackie in his life. He smiled at the thought of proving his dad wrong.