Chapter 12

Friday 15th July 1960

LA

Democratic National Convention

The last six months had been tough, the campaign was heavy going but Jack had saw Jackie at least twice a week. He’d visited many states but he knew he had a long road to go if he was going to reach the White House or even win the nomination.

However, it was now crunch time. The Democratic party were going to pick their presidential nominee. Jack was happy; he would be able to see Jackie. Her reporter had called in sick so she got to go. He was glad to have her support.

Ambassador Hotel

Jack was alone in his room. This week had been hell. Bobby had to deny he didn’t have Addison’s disease after Lyndon Johnson claimed he did, and then he had to debate Johnson in front of people from Massachusetts and Texas. Luckily he was put on the nomination and yesterday Lyndon Johnson won the Vice President ticket.

Jack looked into the mirror; he was exhausted physically and mentally. He sighed. “Jack?” Bobby knocked on his door.

“Yeah?”

“You need to come give your victory speech.”

Jack nodded. “I know.”

Bobby closed the door. “Are you okay?”

He sighed. “My back hurts like hell and I haven’t slept in six months.”

Bobby looked at his brother. “You can sleep late tomorrow, without any disturbances.”

“Thanks.”

Democratic National Convention

Jack stood up at the podium. His face was plastered in make-up so he didn’t look pale. He hated this but inside he was elated. Jackie listened from the audience as he concluded his acceptance speech. “All mankind waits upon our decision. A whole world looks to see what we will do. We cannot fail their trust, we cannot fail to try. It has been a long road from that first snowy day in New Hampshire to this crowded convention city. Now begins another long journey, taking me into your cities and homes all over America. Give me your help, your hand, your voice, your vote. Recall with me the words of Isaiah: "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary.”

Once he was finished he looked down at Jackie, she was smiling. Her eyes twinkled he thought.

Bobby met him at the side of the stage. “Congrats bro.” He grinned.

“Thanks I couldn’t have done it without you.”

Bobby nodded but he noticed Jack seemed preoccupied.

Ambassador Hotel

8pm

When Jack and his staff walked into the hotel ballroom there was about a hundred people. They all cheered when they saw him. He smiled and hid his feeling of annoyance and spoke to everyone.

After an hour he met Bobby. “I’m going to go to my room, I’m tired.”

“Oh Jack come on, it’s early we need to celebrate.”

Jack sighed and turned. He headed upstairs. After getting in the elevator he loosened his tie. He was finally out of public display.

After closing the door to his room he put the chain on. He switched the lights on and went into the bathroom. He splashed some water on his face. He took his medicine before going to pour some whiskey.

“Jack.” A voice said.

He turned stunned but smiled to see Jackie. “Kid.” He smiled.

“Jack, are you okay? You look dreadful.” She said wrapping her arms around him as he sat down on the bed.

“Yeah, I guess.”

She rubbed his back. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” He whispered before lying down. The strain of the campaign showed on his face.