Chapter 20

Monday 8th November 1960

Senator Kennedy’s House, Washington DC

5pm

After voting for himself as President, Jack was meant to get a flight to Hyannis Port to spend Election Day with his family but there had been a heavy snow fall and now no planes were flying. He walked back from the airport to his house. The majority of his staff and family were at the Cape.

“Senator!” A reporter yelled. Jack looked up. “What?”

“How do you feel to be stuck here and alone on Election Day?”

Jack smiled. “Well Eunice and Pat are stuck here too so I’m guessing they’ll come and see me.”

“What will you do tonight?”

“Sleep.” He replied. The campaign had taken its toll on him.

“Ok, good luck Senator.”

“Thanks.” He opened the door before locking it. He switched the hall light on before putting his key on the table.

He ruffled his hair before walking into the kitchen. He was getting a glass out of the cupboard when a pair of arms wrapped round him. He gasped.

“Bunny.” Jackie whispered.

He turned to face her. His eyes were bold. “What are you doing here kid?” He smiled gazing into her brown eyes.

“I heard you were stuck in DC and I thought you wouldn’t want to spend the most important night of your life alone.”

He giggled. “Thank you, I’m glad you’re here.”

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. He blushed and kissed her back. He suddenly pulled back. “You did remember to vote right?” He teased.

A smile appeared on her face. “Of course I did, and I voted for you.”

He blushed. “Thank you, that means a lot.”

She took his hand. “Would you like some chowder?”

He nodded. While Jackie made dinner Jack went upstairs and closed the curtains. He changed into joggers and a t-shirt. He needed something that wouldn’t hurt his back.

When he got downstairs Jackie was sitting at the table. They ate in silence; it was obvious he was tired with the bags under his eyes.

“That was delicious.” He smiled sitting back.

“Good, I’m glad you enjoyed it Bunny.”

He got up and went to the living room. He fell on to the sofa and switched the TV on. He started to watch the returns. Jackie joined him and they snuggled up under a blanket. Jackie was wearing a “Kennedy for President” badge. He smiled and let her rest against him.

“Are we staying up to watch it till the results come through?”

He shook his head. “If it lasts longer than one I’m going to bed.”

She stroked his hair. “Okay.”

1am

The returns were coming through slowly. “I’m calling it a night.” Jack said getting to his feet. “I’ll meet you upstairs I need to phone Bobby.”

“Okay.” She smiled. She got into bed only wearing his shirt. She still had the badge on.

“Bobby?” Jack asked.

“Yeah?”

“I’m going to bed and I’m switching the phone off. Night.”

“Night Jack and good luck.”

“Thanks.”

After he hung up, he switched all the lights off and got into bed beside Jackie. He fell asleep when his head hit the pillow. He wondered if he would be President when he woke up. Only time would tell.