Chapter 23

Thursday 11th November 1960

Jack’s House, Hyannis Port

Jack silently walked out of his house wearing a jacket and some slacks. He put his sunglasses on to try and hide from the press. He headed towards the water when three agents appeared. “Where are you going, Mr. President-elect?”

Jack looked up. “Just a sail.” He replied hoarsely. He’d gotten the cold after the last few days of interviews and speeches.

“We need to come with you.”

Jack sighed. “Listen I know you need to protect me and I respect what you do considering how dangerous your job is, but I’m only going a sail no one will know.”

“But Sir…”

“No, I need to be alone.”

“Fine.”

Jack got into his boat and set off. The cold water made him feel relaxed. He was apprehensive about becoming president.

10am

When he arrived back at the beach his hair was soaking from the dampness in the air. He had just finished tying up his boat when Bobby stormed towards him in a suit. “Where the hell have you been?” Bobby exclaimed. “You have a photography session in ten minutes!”

Jack looked at him. “I can’t be bothered.” He rasped. His throat really hurt.

“Jack what’s wrong?” Bobby asked.

“My throat hurts like hell; I’ve just got the cold.” He replied. “I don’t want to do anything today.” He went home and locked the door. He passed out on the sofa.

When he woke he glanced at the clock. It was just after dinner. He got up and went for a bath. When the phone rang he groaned. “What?” He snapped picking up the receiver.

“Jack, what’s wrong?” Jackie asked.

“Oh kid I’m sorry, Bobby was stressing me.” He replied. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, have you got the cold?”

“Yeah.”

“Poor Bunny.” She replied.  “Are you looking forward to thanksgiving?”

“Yes very much because I get to be with you.”

She giggled. “Good because I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”