Chapter 16

Monday 19th September 1960

Jackie Bouvier’s House

Jackie was sitting in her living room watching Walter Cronkite’s interview with Jack. Mr. Kennedy a profile. She smiled as she looked at pictures of him as a child. She was watching Jack talking when her phone rang. She picked up the receiver. “Hello?”

“Hey.”

Jackie blushed as she heard Jack’s voice. “How are you?” Jackie asked.

“I’m doing better, I saw a new doctor in New York and he really helped my back. I haven’t felt this good in years.”

“That’s good.” Jackie replied. “I’m sitting watching Mr. Kennedy a Profile.”

“Oh… no it’s awful.”

She laughed. “When will I see you next?”

“I really don’t know, the debates are soon.”

“I’m going to the first one as a reporter, will I see you then?” She asked hopefully.

“Yes.” He replied. “I’ll look forward to it. I just want a cuddle, Bobby is driving me insane.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too, goodnight.”

“Night.” Jackie said hanging up.

She’d just put the phone down when she heard Lee coming in. “Hey sis.”

“Hi.” Jackie smiled. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Lee smiled and sat down. She noticed a man’s jumper on the sofa. “Is the Senator Kennedy’s?” She teased.

Jackie glared at her and nodded. “What do you want?”

“To tell you Mum is annoyed, she thinks you’ve turned all Democratic on her.”

Jackie shrugged. “He’s my boyfriend and this is what he wants to do and he’s better than Nixon so of course he’s got my vote.”

Lee nodded. “So are you happy with him?”

“Very.”

“How often do you see him?” Lee asked.

Jackie stared at her. “Why do you want to know? It’s my life.”

“I…I…” Lee stopped talking. Jackie seemed preoccupied. “Why can’t you just be happy for me?” Jackie snapped.

“I am….”

Jackie ignored her and Lee left. She just wanted to be with Jack, she really missed him.