Chapter 25

Thursday 1st December 1960

The Paul Residence, Palm Beach

Jack was lying on a lounger on the patio. He was renting his friend’s house because his parent’s estate was too busy and he couldn’t rest much. This was the first time since he got here he didn’t have meetings about possible cabinet positions.

“Jack.” Bobby and Ted called walking towards him.

He sat up. “What?”

“You seemed really depressed yesterday.” Ted said. “Even Dad noticed, you hardly said anything during meetings.”

Jack sighed. “I’m physically and mentally exhausted and my back is in agony.” He replied. “I just want a week without any stress or disruptions.”

Bobby looked at Ted. “But Jack you’re going to be President.”

“I know but I want my energy back from the campaign!” He snapped.

“Jack…”

“Go away!”

“Fine.” Bobby huffed getting up to leave. Ted stayed seated. “Do you want some company?”

Jack nodded.

Ted gave him a beer and lay down in the Florida sun. “What’s this I hear about Bobby yelling at you for bringing a girl home?”

“Ted can you keep a secret?”

“You know I can.”

“I have a girlfriend. I have done since last year, Bobby or Dad don’t know because they don’t want me to have one but Teddy… she’s the one.”

Ted’s eyes widened in shock. “If she’s the one you have to do something about it.”

“I will don’t worry.”

“What’s her name?” Ted asked.

“Jackie, Jacqueline Bouvier.”

“Is that why you spent Thanksgiving in DC?”

Jack smirked. “Yeah, we hardly saw each other during the campaign; I wanted to make it up to her.”

“You are such a sweet boyfriend.” Ted teased.

“Shut up!”

“No I’m happy for you brother, I hope it works out.”

“Yeah me too.” Jack smiled.

Teddy went home. He was happy for Jack but he didn’t know how low he was feeling. “Mr. President?” Clint said.

“Yeah?”

“The phone.”

Jack nodded. “Thanks.” After Clint went away he picked up the receiver. “Hello?”

“It’s Lem.”

“Oh hey Lem.” Jack smiled hearing his best friend’s voice. “What can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if you were okay. Bobby said you were grumpy.”

Jack sighed. “Bobby’s a pain, but yes Lem I’m okay. Just very tired and I want Jackie to be here with me.”

Lem laughed. “I never thought I’d see you in love.”

Jack smiled and hung up.