Chapter 27

5pm

Jackie walked down the stairs of Jack’s house wearing a red knee length dress, with her hair up, a pearl necklace and earrings and white kid gloves. “Whoa….” Jack smiled. “You look like a million dollars.”

She blushed and took his arm. “Why thank you Mr. President-elect.” She teased.

“Don’t call me that Miss Bouvier.”

She laughed. “Okay.”

They walked hand in hand to the local restaurant flanked by secret service. “Jack.” Jackie whispered. “What if the press see?”

“It’s Friday night, they have better things to do and places to be than write about what I’m doing.”

She blushed. “I guess you’re right.”

They sat in a private lounge without anyone to disturb them. “Jack this is lovely.” She whispered.

He grinned. “It gets rid of the secret service anyway.”

Both of them laughed. She noticed he seemed nervous but his eyes kept tracing her body. “Is something wrong Bunny?”

He smiled. “No, I’m just glad to spend some time with you.”

After eating dinner they stood up to leave. He helped her into her coat before taking her gloved hand. She smiled and they walked home.

“It’s a nice evening Jacqueline, why don’t we go to the beach and watch the sun set?” Jack suggested.

Her face lit up. “That sounds good.”

When they reached the sandy beach Jackie took her heels off and left them on the patio. Jack took her hand. “When I was recovering from my war injuries I’d walk along here and think of Joe. Kick would always come with me. I kind of shut myself of from the world when he died.” Jack said. “This was my place of comfort.”

Jackie turned to him, and smiled softly. “I wish I could have met Kick, she sounds a wonderful person.”

“She was.” Jack said stopping to watch the sun. Jackie pulled his arm around her and rested against him. “It’s a lovely sight.” She whispered.

He nodded. “I love it.”

Jackie smiled and walked forward to the edge of the water. “I can just imagine living here all year round, it would be beautiful.”

Jack watched her happily. He walked up beside her. He took her hands and turned her so they were facing each other. “You know how you asked me about what would happen to us in the future?”

She was puzzled. “Yes.”

“Well I’ve been thinking about it since you said it and I realised that I couldn’t live without you in my life Jacqueline Bouvier, you mean so much to me. You tolerated all the sneaking about and late night meetings and I’ve known from July that you are the woman for me.” He got down on one knee. “Jackie, will you marry me?”

She stood there stunned. Her eyes filled with tears and she nodded her head. “Yes Jack! Yes! I’ll marry you!”

Jack grinned and held back his own tears as he slipped the ring on her finger. He got up and embraced her tightly. “I love you Jackie.”

“I love you too.”