Chapter 22

Eunice was shocked as she listened to Jackie and Pat explain about Jack and Jackie’s secret relationship. “And no one found out or caught you during the campaign?” Eunice asked nursing her coffee cup.

Jackie nodded. “We tried to see each other at least once every two weeks but it was difficult.”

“How come Pat knows?”

Pat blushed. “Well… Jack missed her last Christmas and I asked him what was wrong, so he told me and I knew it had to be serious when he said ‘I think she’s the one’ I knew he couldn’t stop seeing her then.”

Suddenly Jack came downstairs. He was still in his pyjamas. He kissed Jackie and sat down. “Morning.”

“How do you feel?” Pat asked.

“Flipping exhausted. I want to sleep for a week.” He yawned.

“Well you can’t, you need to fly to the Cape later and give your victory speech and then according to Bobby you’re coming back to DC before going back to the Cape for Thanksgiving before flying to Palm Beach to rest and plan your cabinet.”

Jack groaned and hit his head on the table. Eunice laughed. “You okay Jack?” She noticed Jackie rubbing his back.

“No…. I need to do too many things in such a short space of time and I want to sleep in my nice cosy bed.”

The room erupted into laughter. “Jack calm down, you’ll be fine.”

He sighed. “I’m staying here for thanksgiving I want to spend it with Jackie.” He said taking her hand. “Is that okay?”

Pat shrugged. She knew Dad and Bobby wouldn’t be pleased about this.

1pm

Jack stood kissing Jackie in the hall of his house. She giggled. “I’ll see you for thanksgiving.”

He nodded and kissed her again. “I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“Come on Jack we need to leave!” Pat exclaimed.

“Fine.”

He kissed Jackie and headed out of the house. Jackie would have to sneak out the back way.

“Senator!” A reporter yelled. “How does it feel to be President-elect?” Jack felt uncomfortable as the press surrounded him. Suddenly four men dressed in black guided him into the car.

Once on The Caroline he was formally introduced to the secret service. After greeting them all individually he turned to the man who was in charge of his protection. “Clint?” Jack asked sitting down. “Can I talk to you?”

He nodded. “Yes, Sir?”

“I uh… have a girlfriend but I don’t want anyone to know. My family don’t know. I’m telling you because I want her in my life without the secret service hassling her.”

Clint nodded. “That’s fine Sir, but you’ll need to show us who she is.”

“I will thank you Clint.”

He nodded and left.