Family

Over the next few weeks Joon and I handed over the reigns of planning the engagement party to Jin and Taehyung. I don't know what to expect but here they were in our back yard with clip boards writing things down and talking to each other really fast. I was watching them as I sat at the kitchen counter drinking some coffee. It was Sunday, Joon was playing with Hayanie in her room upstairs.

Over the last week, Joon and I told our parents we were having a party, a celebration. My mother- always jumping the gun and hopeful since she's gotten to know Joon better was quick to ask if we were engaged, or getting engaged. So of course it only took her a few hours to tell everyone else, mostly family that I never even met, and the ones I had met when I was growing up I didn't remember.

"I'm telling you, she's going to pick the powder blue."

"No, she's classier than that- She's going to pick the dusty rose." Jin set his clipboard down and showed me his phone. "You what this color for table settings right? It's a great color." He offered up. I smiled and looked at it closely.

"Y/N, future sister in law, let your future little bro show you a better color." Tae shoved Jin's hand aside and showed me his phone instead. The shove caused Jin to smack Tae upside his head, not too hard.. but enough that he felt it. "Ow.. hey man! Rude! So anyway- This powder blue is better, right?" He asked with a wide boxy smile. I giggled and thought about it for a moment.

"Why not... Jin's for the engagement party..."

"YES! I win!" Jin yelled as he shoved his fist in the air. I giggled and shook my head then finished before Tae spoke.

"And Tae's choice for the actual wedding reception?" I offered up the compromise so both would feel good that they helped.

"YES!" Tae exclaimed.

"I guess it could work." Jin pouted a bit but smiled and leaned against the counter. "I asked Joon if we should get break away tables and chairs- just in case our mothers get rowdy." He laughed. I giggled and Tae shook his head.

"Mom won't throw the first punch, she'll throw about eighty after the first punch though. Do you think we can get them to behave?" He asked, concern showing on his face and in his voice.

"I'm sure your mom and mine can get along given time. I don't expect them to be peaceful at this party, but that's why we're having it here- This way, if they break something we can hold them to it for however long it takes. Maybe they'll never be good friends, but we need them to at least be civil with one another." I told them both. They nodded to show they understood.

As it got closer to the engagement dinner, I became more nervous. Joon could tell I was worried and he tried his best to take my mind off of it. However the day finally came and one by one our invited guests came to our new home.

My mother and father arrived early with Nan. I was glad their relationship seemed to be getting better every time I saw them.

"Wow, this is lovely." Nan exclaimed as she looked around the house. "So how many rooms?" She asked. I laughed lightly and gave her a hug.

"Enough." I told her.

"You seem to be doing well." Mother said as she pulled me into a hug as well. Father was behind her, he hugged me once mother released me. Joon came into the room and my father shook his hand firmly, the two suddenly talking about investments. My mother broke up their conversation as Tae came into the room and smiled while looking rather proud of himself.

"All set?" I asked him as I hadn't been out back to see their decoration skills on display yet. Tae gave me two thumbs up and a big wide boxy smile.