☁︎ 37

37 • a spell •

"What if I could make you remember?"

Nobody has memories from infancy or being born. Not because we don't retain information as young children. Rather, it's because at that age our brains don't yet function in a way that bundles information into the complex neural patterns that we know as memories.

It's awful in the fact that sometimes we want, perhaps need these memories. Things happen when we're fresh out the womb but we can't recall any of it.

Eden offered the idea of a spell that can recall memories, not completly turn back time but the king of magick that can flash you back to a certain time period to see something again.

He said he used it to cheat during a test, but this is different. I'm not searching my unknown memories to recall a test answer my teacher stated before, I'm trying to recall my perspective when I was newborn- to see who's arms I was placed into after I came out the womb.

Who was my mother.

I never thought of using a spell to recall such memories, I never knew they existed. I don't think I would've done it if I did.

But here I am.

Eden and I left the room quickly in fear of being caught somewhere we weren't supposed to be, and finding something we weren't supposed to find.

The thought of me being princess stuck, but it faded as me and Eden snuck to his room.

The ball was still beaming, the music was still playing as we pasted the ballroom to Eden's chambers.

When we walked in his wasn't completely different mine, except his color scheme was more nuetural.

"The spell is mainly physical and mental, so we don't need many supplys but we do need crystals. I don't suppose you have any with you?" Eden talks as he takes off his black jacket.

"No Eden, I do not."

"Wanna go to the market place, see if any witches or warlocks sell any?"

"Not wearing this." I refer to the massive dress covering my body.

"Obviously,." he loosens his tie and unbuttons his white shirt. I sit on his bed, admiring the view.

"How do you put on clothes with your wings?" I ask leaning back on the bed.

"Wing slits." He looks over his shoulder while sliding the white fabric off his torso. I notice his wings bend carefully to fit through the slits made in the back of his shirt, he slides it off his body easily.

"Do they bother?" I ask.

"My wings?"

"Yeah, they're big. Heavy. I assume they get in the way sometimes..."

"I guess, we've had them are entire lives though so we adjust easily. That's like asking how do you get your head through your clothes? Theirs a hole for them. And does your big head get in the way, is it heavy? You don't notice something that you've always had, it becomes normal."

"Did you just say my head it big?"

"Is that all you got from it?"

"Excuse me, yeah."

Eden walks towards me, shirtless, and cups my face in his hands. I smile at the innocent gesture. "Yes, you do have a big head."

I scoff and smack his hands away but he puts them back. "No, get away from me and my head."

"What? It's a compliment!"

"No it's not!"

"I like your big head."

"Shut up, get away from me." I laugh. "You're so annoying."

"I'm kidding, your head is actually very small, you're curly hair makes it big."

"Don't talk to me anymore." I stand up and begin walking towards the door. "I'm changing in my room."

He grabs my wrist and spins me around to his bare chest, then wraps both of his musclular arms around my waist.

I laugh, yet also taken back from the sudden affection. He doesn't say anything. No flirtatious comments or snarky remark. He nuzzles his head into my neck as I wrap my arms around his. "you okay?"

"Of course, can I not hug you?" He loosens his grip.

"No, no" I tighten mine "I just..." I don't finish my sentence. I let myself get lost in his comforting and safe embrace.

"I'm glad I met you." He says quietly, almost inaudible. "But I feel like I ruined your life."

The truth comes out, his behavior makes sense now. "A battle takes two, I'm also blame."

"It's my fault though, I-"

"It's done now. It passed. Now we're here."

He stays quiet for a moment, I see pale wings open slightly around our body. "I'm glad we are."

"Me too."

••

I changed into more common folk clothing as we snuck out of the palace.

Of course, not through the doors.

We stood alone on the balcony ready to fly out, until I stopped him.

"I'm not flying with you."

"What?" He asks in shock.

"What?" I mock him. "I'm air manipulating, I'm not flying on your back again."

"Why not?" He asks oh so offended.

"Almost died! Twice!"

He asked sarcastically "What are talking about?"

I shook my hands in annoyance and felt the wind around me. Every small detail made goosebumps on my arm rise.

"You've ever flown before?" Eden asks.

This isn't the first time I've flown. I've practiced plenty before, but it's the first time in a long time. I don't know if I can still do it.

"Yes."

"You don't sound too confident." He doubts and smirks.

"Well I am."

"Just hold on to me-"

"For you to drop me from the sky again? No thank you Eden." I climb on to balcony railing and find my balance.

"You look like you've never flown before."

"I have and I can."

"I don't want you getting hurt-"

"You didn't seem to think about that whe I was plummeting towards the earth!"

"It was a rush, you enjoyed it and you know it! I knew what I was doing, I wasn't going to let you get hurt."

"Chivalrous." I close my eyes and feel the air around me. I imagine myself grabbing it from below and lifting me up. Before I knew it I felt my feet lift the ground and I was hovering over the balcony.

"You can float, nice." Eden crosses his arms, his muscles excentuaded by his white shirt and gray pants.

"Shut up." I fly off the balcony right in front of him. "I can fly, without a mans wings." I shrug my shoulders, cross my arms and smirk at him.

"Aren't you cute." He smiles.

I lean over from the other side of the balcony towards his face. His nose moves to the other side of mine as he smiles against my lips.

Eden shift his head next to mine and kisses my cheek. "Romeo, Romeo," we both burst out laughing "wherefore art thou Romeo."

"Oh please." I laugh. As soon as we settle I speak up again "Come on."

He climbs on top, opens his wings ready to fly until I let out an ear pitching scream- accidentally falling from the high palace balcony.