☁︎ 46

46 • confrontation •

King Jordyn escorted us back to the palace, he apologized the entire time for his 'sisters cruelty.'

Everyone bowned down once we entered through the double doors, Jordyn held his head high as an moment of surprised silence swam through the palace walls.

Everyone stood back up straight as he greeted and smiled at everyone. The staff welcomed him sincerely, it was a surprise how lively the palace became quickly after his arrival compared to the silence and emptiness of when the queen reined.

Ruby ran towards us as we stood behind the king "Are you all alright?" She examines us.

Tiara reassures her "We're fine Ruby."

"All the staff was rushed downstairs, the guards urged us not to leave. We didn't know what was going on but it was all so loud."

Tiara looks at me, questioning what to tell her and the rest of the terrified looking staff. "Let's get them cleaned up," the king thankfully interupts "we'll discuss this at a later time."

Ruby looks at us nervously, and walks us down an outside hallway.

While walking past the talkative workers I saw the green elder man who was my personal escort when I first arrived. "Berilo!"

"Ms. Theodosia." He nods. "You've gotten yourself in quite the perdicament, again." He looks me up and down, examining my dress covered in dirt and blood.

"Yeah, I-"

"I think your father told you to clean yourself up young lady, all discussions will wait for later."

Your father.

"You knew?"

"I'd be a fool not to notice." His expression and tone remains calm and unbothered.

"How did you-"

"Run along now." He walks away towards everyone else conversing with the king.

I turn back to find Leia, Lunelle, Tiara and Ruby talking down the hall, most likely explaining everything to the red head, but Eden stands by the wall, waiting for me.

I walk towards him, awkwardly, and examine his injured figure. His wings pale color are stained in brown dirt, along with the rest of his entire body. His shirt is torn while his muscles are flexed, tense.

"Are you okay?" I feel the need to ask.

He looks me up and down with an unexplainable look. "Don't blame yourself."

My head falls down and my eyes glue to my dirt covered shoe- then realising it I take them off, not wanting to dirty the palace floors. "I'm not."

"You are."

We walk side by side, following our friends far ahead of us "Did I do the right thing?" I ask myself out loud.

I look back to the city I grew up in, it was beautiful, filled with memories.

It's home.

But I remember all the homeless people on the streets. I remember all the poor families begging for food and change as I walked back from school or training. I remember the neighborhoods with abandoned homes, the areas in desperate need of construction.

I remember sitting in Eden's cafe, watching the news about Athena. All the different opinions on her: some people look up to her, others were terrified. How will they react to what just happened? I look back at flying above the town with Eden, seeing the Athena and Moira posters and murals. It gave me hope.

I remember that little boy from the market who claimed Athena and Moira were going to save the kingdom, he spoke with such hope and aspiration.

I convinced myself I'd be doing this for them, for everyone who didn't have a voice. Who needed help. But now that I got rid of the person causing the problems, how will I solve them?

"I think you did part of it." Edens response catches me by surprising, I was looking for more of a yes or no answer. "But that has to be your own opinion."

"What now?" I feel the end now near and I ask myself the same question again. "This entire time I had an unrealistic expectation to go back to the Golden State."

"I don't think that's happening." He turns to me as we arrive at the bath, everyone else already in, and sighs.

"We been knew."

"But that's not a bad thing." I look up at him in confusion and we hide behind a pillar for a moment. "I didn't really want you to go back, that would mean you leaving." He places a hand on my cheek and rubs his thumb up and down my face in a comforting manner.

"Theo! Come here!" Tiara yells from the bath, massaging what looks like a clay mask on Leia's face.

Looking back at Eden, he leans in and kisses my cheek slowly. I take a moment to appreciate and enjoy the feeling, the warmth of his body radiating on mine. "Come on." He wraps his hand around mine as we walk towards the stones around the pool of water.

"I don't want you're big ass wings in the tub!" Lunelle yells at Eden as he takes off his shirt.

"Yes you do, be quiet."

Freshly bathed and re-dressed, we're escorted to a different dining room, on the oppsite side of the wing. Jordyn is already sitting on the table, speaking to the dark winged fey from before.

"Welcome." He greets us, the entire aura of the room is more lively than before, giving me a sense of joy.

"Where's the food." Lunelle whispers behind me.

"We are in front of the king. Be quiet." His sister whispers aggressively while smacking his arm.

"King? He just kicked his sister off the thrown and is the king now?" Lunelle asks. "No ones complaining though."

"Maybe that's what we'll be discussing Lunelle!" Tiara whispers sarcastically.

"Please," Jordyn points out his hand, indicating for us sit down at the table and have the inevitable conversation.