.....

ROSETTE

     Hours later and here I am, in a stinky motel with nothing more than a bag of fries and some crackers to keep me alive.

          So much for having a plan.

     The tiny cramped up space kept the hairs on the back of my neck straight while the stench kept my eyes watering and nose scrunching. To say management here was poor was an understatement as I walked into the beat up lobby to be met with an empty chair and desk with food bits spilled all over.

      The loud moans and banging sounds that seeped through the wall kept me awake that night, making me regret my choice of hiding out in a place like this.

               What was I thinking?

     Stuffing my face into the overly washed and faded pillow provided, I tried to zone out the noise but only got more agitated as the screams started. The little sleep that I had gathered was instantly ripped away and all I was left to do was to stare at the tainted ceiling.

     What now? That was the only question running through my mind as I let out a heavy breath. For how long would I keep running? Elijah's men were sure to find me even if it took them a hundred years to do so and they would surely torture me to death for killing their most beloved boss. If I could just get my hand on a fake passport and use the money I had to escape to another country, I would be okay.Sighing, I hopped off the bed and got a sweater over myself, ready to head out for a walk.

   The night had a cold breeze to it, making me shiver even though I was well dressed for it. The lit up streets were almost empty, only a few drunks and passed out hobos littering it. Majority of the stores were closed, save for a 24 hr chemist and a small grocery store. Catching a wiff of some sweet smelling scent, I couldn't resist following it and ending up in a café at the corner of the street.

    The sweet aroma of freshly baked muffins and cupcakes hit me as I slid the door open,making my mouth water. The tout lady at the counter gave me a bright smile and waved me over with enthusiasm written all over her face. Finally getting in close range, she politely offered me a table and within no time, pushed a batch of muffins my way.

      "Hello there, would you mind trying out my muffins?" Her sweet voice held all the warmth needed to make me smile at her and pick up a muffin. Once the heavenly goodness reached my taste buds, I couldn't resist letting a small moan escape my mouth. Closing my eyes and relishing at the taste, I reminisced about having a loving home with everything I could ever want.

        Everything I'm being given a second chance to have.

     The clearing of a throat brought me back to reality as the lady looked at me with an expectant expression on her heart shaped face.

        "Well? Is it edible?" she asked, making me chuckle at the silliness she had, reflecting on what her younger self was like.

        "Very much so." I answered, being truthful to the luxury my taste buds had just swam in.

     "Take them home honey." With that, she turned around and disappeared behind a door, leaving me mouth ajar, surprised at her gesture of kindness. Slowly, I took hold of the plate with the remaining muffins and made my way to the cafés entrance. Looking back, I caught sight of her, waving slightly at me with a bright smile spread across her face.

    My short walk back to the motel had me smiling to myself as I carried the muffins along with me back to my room. With everything that had been happening, all I needed was a tinge of sweetness to give me hope for change and a better life than the one Elijah had given me.