Chapter thirty

Brea, Bella and Jacob sat on the edge of the cliff....watching the sunrise.

"You just have to...stop," Bella sighed.

Brea turned to look...to see who she was talking too.

"It's not a lifestyle choice. It's in my DNA," Jacob sighed.

"Killing is in your DNA?" Bella asked.

"Man, I thought maybe you both wouldn't be such a hypocrite.... What, I'm not the right kind of monster for you both? Can't measure up to your bloodsucking friends?" Jacob asked.... looking at Brea.

Brea stared at Jacob, anger grew inside of her...she hated how bad he talked about the Cullen's.

"Hey! They manage to survive without hurting innocent people!" Brea snapped, jumping to her feet.

Jacob looked at her.

"And to answer your question Jacob! Yes, you aren't the right monster for me," Brea said.

"Wait! Innocent? So you don't care that I morphed into a giant dog? Or how you just morphed into one? Just that I... kill people?" Jacob asked.

"Those hikers' lives mean that little to you?" Bella asked.

Jacob started to laugh..

"OH MY GOD!" Brea yelled, starting to walk away.

"Brea...Brea wait! We're not killing hikers. We're trying to protect them," Jacob sighed.

"From what?" Brea asked.

"The only thing we do kill; vampires," Jacob smirked.

"Vampires? Jake, NO!" Brea yelled.

"Don't worry, we can't touch your precious Cullens...unless they bite someone and violate the 'Treaty'" Jacob said.

"That's not what I meant... you-we can't fight vampires. They're dangerous," Brea sighed,

"Don't give me that shit Brea! You had no problem taking out that leech with the dreads easy enough!" Jacob snapped.

"No! GOD NO! He was trying to kill us, it was the only thing to do...besides I had no control," Brea said.

"It's what we do, why we exist! A few 'lucky guys' in the tribe have the gene...but you, I can't explain how you have it. Once a bloodsucker moves to town, our DNA kicks in, we reach the right age and then the fever hits," Jacob said,

"Mono?" Bella asked.

"I wish. Next thing I know, they're telling me, this is your life now. That future you saw for yourself? Gone! Brea, you won't have a normal life, ever," Jacob sighed.

"It's bad, huh?" Bella asked.

"I just hate feeling....out of control. Maybe Sam is right; maybe Bella you shouldn't be around me....let alone Brea," Jacob said.

"Like you could get rid of us," Bella laughed.

"You've both seen Emily," Jacob replied.

Both Brea and Bella nod.

"Sam lost it for a split second; Emily was standing too close... he's still messed up about it. I don't want to be that kind of nightmare," Jacob sighed, taking Bella's hand.

"You're not like that! Both of you save people... Brea saved us from Laurent," Bella smiled.

"Yeah, Brea took real care of him...but his red-headed girlfriend will be just as fun!" Jacob smirked.

"V-Victoria! She's here?" Brea asked.

"After you killed that leech....and raced off, we picked up her scent...chased her all the way to the border. But she won't stay gone. Keeps coming back...if we knew what she was after.." Jacob paused, seeing Brea's face...losing color.

"What?" Jacob asked.

"We know what she wants," Bella said.

"M-Me," Brea sighed.

*********************

Brea, Bella and the wolf pack sat down at a table.

"Excellent! If the redhead is after Brea, we've got bait!" Jared smirked.

"We are not using Brea as bait," Jacob frowned,

"I-We should leave town," Brea said....looking over at Bella.

"Victoria will follow you and make it harder for us to catch her," Sam replied.

"No one can catch her! She can escape anything," Brea sighed.

"Ohh. She has special powers!" Paul laughed.

"S-Some of them do," Brea said.

They all stare at Brea.... She instantly regrets saying anything.

"Like...what? Brea?" Jacob asked.

"The mind reader Bella said you knew. He was a suckhead? Can they all do that?" Jared asked.

"That would totally blow," Embry said.

"No, I...shouldn't have....I'm sorry," Brea sighed, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"She's still protecting them," Paul growled.

"I don't know why! It's not like they stuck around to protect her," Jared said.

"Guys, back off," Jacob replied, looking apologetically at Brea.

Brea stood up and started to walk away, but stopped.

"I-I'd like to go home. NOW!" Brea said.

Jacob and Bella stood up and followed Brea.

Jacob walked both sisters up to the door.

"Brea, don't worry! We've got this place covered! She won't get near you, Bella or Charlie," Jacob smiled.

Brea nodded, still feeling sad.

"Hey! We should do something fun! Like....cliff diving, right?" Jacob asked.

"I-I could use the rush," Brea sighed.

"Soon! After we catch her," Jacob said, pulling both girls in for a hug...before running off into the woods.