Chapter 37

HOW IS THE LIFEZ

LUKES POV:

I walk into school, alarms going off in my head left and right. I feel a hard surface on my arm and before I know it I'm flying into the locker. I look up slowly to see some stupid jock standing above me.

"Watch it." He growls, adjusting his shirt before walking away.

I hop up, rolling my eyes and sighing. I can sense eyes on me from all directions, judging me. Sending hateful thoughts coursing through my body. I look down, walking faster and trying to just get out of the hallway.

I miss Ashton. He made me happy, no matter how sad I was. And now I'm alone again. Sure, My new family out here is really nice, and amazing... It's just. I would deal with with my dad any day, if it meant I could live next to Ash again.

I sit down in my seat, just now noticing the tears slowly rolling down my checks. I wipe them away furiously, suck it up!

You're already fat and ugly, don't add cry-baby to the list!

Oh god... They're back.

Come on Luke! You are a pathetic, worthless, ugly fág! Get over it and give yourself what you deserve.

I shake my head, tears now streaming down my face. I sob out, instantly clamping my hand over my mouth and looking up. I see the class looking at me. Some eyes filled with pity.

They pity you... for the fact that you're such a failure

I stand up quickly, running out of the class and to the bathroom. Flinging open one of the stalls ,I throw myself into the tight space.

The first thing my body and mind tell my to do is to throw up. I ate all my lunch, and I could practically see my belly bulging. The sight alone encouraged me to lean over the toilet, shoving my fingers to the back of my throat and cringing as I throw up.

I belch a few more times, falling back and sighing in disgust and sadness as I lean against the wall. I hear the door creak open, but ignore it and flush the throw up away.

I stand up, slowly unlocking the door and sliding out of the stall. I see a boy making his way into a stall, I think the same jock from earlier. I turn back to the sink and turn on the water. I cup my hands and put some water in my mouth, spitting it out to get rid of the awful taste.

I do this a few more times, before pulling paper towels out of the dispenser and wiping my face. I hear the toilet flush and go to walk out, not in the mood for a confrontation.

"Hey." He says forcefully, catching me off guard.

I look back quickly before making my way out of the bathroom again. Suddenly I feel a hand wrap around my arm, wrenching me back into the bathroom. I gasp as I get shoved into the wall.

"Can I go back to class?" I say softly, not looking him in the eyes.

He scoffs, pulling my body forward and pushing me back against the wall harshly. I turn my face to the side, preparing for a punch. And it comes.

He throws one punch at my face. Pulling back and looking at me," you're a fäg right."

I don't say anything, looking away," are you?!" He gives me a blow to the stomach causing me to double over in pain.

I don't say anything, just wheeze out a breath. I look up to see him rolling his eyes, and he pushes me to the ground roughly. I whimper as he gives my stomach a kick before walking out of the bathroom.

I lay there for a minute, letting my thoughts reel.

I pull out my phone, looking at the time to see it is only 8 AM. So it's three in the morning for him. I sigh, sliding it back into my pocket and standing up slowly.

I decide to just go back to the house, starting on my way and just walking.

***

Their house is a good three miles away, I didn't realize this, but it's not going to hurt me, it's actually a good thing. Now I can see the neighborhood sigh up ahead.

After about twenty more minutes of walking, I make it back to the house. Luckily no one else is home, or I might get in trouble. I'm sure Barbara will know soon enough, get a call from the school or something. But I couldn't care less right now. I run up to my 'room', lying on the bed face down.

I grab a pillow, pulling it under my head. I take a strained breath before screaming out into the plush surface. It's muffled, but still loud.

They have to have one somewhere? Ashton didn't give me time to pack it. That's probably why he wanted to help me pack.

I walk into my bathroom, searching through the cabinet and drawers and not finding anything. I run down stairs, knowing I need to hurry before anyone figures out I'm gone and comes home.

I search through the kitchen, sighing in relief when I find a pocket knife. I run back upstairs and into the bathroom. I shut the door quickly, locking it and leaning against the wall.

(Trigger warning)

I look down at my wrist, seeing most of the more recent ones were starting to heal. I flick open the pocket knife and hold it to my skin.

I'm sorry ash.

I slide it across quickly, laying my head back as blood starts budding at the surface. I do this a few more times, relief spreading through my body. After I had made seven cuts, I carefully moved my arm to the sink and turned on the water.

I hiss as the cool liquid makes contact with my skin, but hold it under until the bleeding stops. I wash off the knife quickly, drying it and walking back downstairs. I put it back in the drawer I found it and sigh when seeing some gauze.

I wrap my cuts carefully, making sure it was secure.

(End of trigger warning)

I walk back upstairs, sitting on the bed and running my hands through my hair. I decided to just go to sleep, willing to suffer the consequences of skipping school. I curl into the covers, letting myself drift off.

"Lucas hemming!!"

I hear a voice shout then a door being closed harshly. I sit up slowly, here we go.

I stand up and walk downstairs to see Barbara pacing," where did you go! We didn't know, what if had gotten hurt!! Don't do that again, you scared me to death."

I look down in shame, flinching a bit when I feel arms wrap around my body. I look up to see her hugging me," it's okay, I know it's hard being somewhere completely new. But you can't just run home like that? I didn't know what happened, and then when you didn't answer the house or your cell, I didn't know if you were hurt or lost! It's okay... Just please don't do it again. Or call me, and I'll come check you out if you really need to come home."

I nod, relief spreading through me that she wasn't mad. I was also filled with guilt that she genuinely cared for me, and I had made her so worried.

"I'm sorry.." I say softly.

She nods and turns away, grabbing her purse," okay... I have to go back to work, do you want to go back to school or come with me and just help around the office I guess? I just work for a small real estate company and work on foreclosures and stuff like that."

"I'll just go with you I guess..." I say, looking down.

"Okay, let's go. You could probably just sleep in my office if you want, there's a love seat?" She says, walking towards her car with me behind her.

I hop into the passenger seat. And she starts driving.

***

"I'm going to go start dinner, you can go start on homework, and see what you need to get down from Heather." She says, walking into the kitchen and letting me jog up the stairs.

I walk into my room, hopping on the bed and seeing that it is now 7 PM. That means I have to wait about an hour before Ashton even gets out of school. I sigh, plugging my headphones in and turning on some My Chemical Romance.

Guess I'll wait.

HEELLLLLOOOOO!!

Hope you enjoyed! :3

Don't forget to comment and vote! <3