Chapter 3

I busy myself with winding and organising some unused cords with tape behind the stage. I hear footsteps coming up the stairs behind me and the muttering of people talking.

"I'm hungry, can we eat after this?" A female voice says.

"Wow! What's new?" A male voice replies.

'You're a dick'.

There's some shuffling of feet and I suddenly feel a presence behind me.

"You must be... Kristina?" A female voice says no more than a metre from me. I turn around still holding the ripped tape strips that are now stuck to my hands. It's Billie. She's wearing a black oversized t-shirt and black pants. "I... Ah" I fluster. I struggle to try to find my words and to remove the tape that doesn't want to budge. Billie laughs and takes a step closer to me. She smells like citrus, flowers and wood. God, she must think I'm insane! She steadies my hand with both of hers. I first notice the paleness of her skin and her intricate rings. She first runs her index finger over the back of my hand before grabbing the tape and carefully removing it from my hand.

I'm blushing harder than ever. I must be as red as a tomato. I wish I had my hat on right now. She laughs again still holding my hands which are so soft 'you sounded really beautiful out there.' She looks me in the eye and her face changes so she's serious 'Should I be worried about you taking over my show?' I look into her crystal blue eyes. Even in the dim light of the backstage her eyes are still bright and clear. I laugh nervously in response "oh, trust me, I could never amount to you. You're just incredible". She's smiling now "I think you could take me" she bites her lip stepping backwards away from me. She winks, drops my hands and then walks around the black curtain onto the stage.

——

I slump back against a table and try to catch my breath. I can still feel the warmth of her hands where they touched mine. I place my hands on my face to feel my cheeks. They're warm. I hear the melodic sound of Billie's voice start singing 'ocean eyes'.

I sneak to the side of the stage and find myself staring only at her. The way she moves, so casual and free. Her hair moves with her body and when it covers her face she slowly sweeps it away. Her jawline is so structured. And her lips... those lips. So plump and sexy. She meets my stare and smirks. She takes steps towards me still singing so beautifully. She takes a breath and moves her hand with the mic to her side. She winks at me, sticks out her tongue and turns back around swinging her arms. 

I watch her sing the rest of the song and find myself mesmerised by her. I am woken from my thoughts with Finneas asking me to help fix an amp. I scuttle towards the amp and fix it for him promptly. He thanks me and touches my shoulder. I look up to see Billie staring at the interaction. She looks at the my shoulder where Finneas touched me, up into my eyes and then looks away slightly annoyed.

It's 2:33pm. I'm taking a break. I head down stairs and find the closest empty dressing room to sit down in. Harry texts me:

I put my phone down, giggling at Harry's message