Chapter 35

Maggie and I really connect. Both her parents are super lovely and so passionate about their children. Maggie shows me around the house and tells me stories of Billie when she was younger or when she recorded her album. It warms my heart to get a glimpse of how Billie grew up. When we return to the table, Billie's dad has pulled out the old family albums. Billie and Finneas are reciting memories from photos their mum took of them. I sit next to Claudia and we go through an album together, laughing and gushing over how cute Billie and Finneas were as kids.

I help her mum clean up after dinner. She asks me questions about my life and I never once think she's interrogating me, it feels so natural and she comes off as very caring. "Billie did tell me about how good your cooking is but I think I'm obsessed" I say to her. Billie looks up at us from the table and watches us as we talk. "Please take some home, Pat and I won't eat all these leftovers" she says and I nod enthusiastically. "I'm so glad I finally got to meet you. I was worried she wouldn't introduce you" she says to me quietly so Billie can't hear. I laugh softly and agree with her, "They both speak so highly of you and Pat". "You know we've never met her partners before so it really does say a lot that you're here" she continues. "OK, OK, that's enough you two" Billie comes over from the table and takes the dinner plate and dish cloth from me to place on the bench. "Please excuse us, mama" Billie says as she pulls me out of the kitchen by my waist. "Billie! I wasn't finished with dishes" I say over my shoulder. "Go. I'm OK with the rest" Maggie says to me with a smile.

I concede and follow Billie down the hallway. She takes my hand in hers and pushes me against a door, kissing me. I get worried someone will see us but she doesn't seem to be concerned. She pulls me off the door and opens it. "This" she begins "is my room" I stare into the room and she turns on the light. A red glow fills the room. Her bed sits to the side and she has posters and sketches along the walls. She turns me around so I'm facing her. "Red, huh?" I say to her raising my eyebrows "red's sexy" she says kissing me and leading me towards her bed. "Billie! Your family is in the next room" I whisper to her. She starts kissing my neck. "Yeah, you're right, your super loud anyway" she says and I pinch her arm playfully. "You know, I've never brought anyone here" she tells me. "Your mum already told me" I say. She groans "Of course she did!"

 She groans "Of course she did!"