Chapter 17

There's only one show in Sydney before it's on to Brisbane and then Fremantle. She's got the night off tonight, rehearsal and the show starts tomorrow. I asked her if she wants to do anything but she's too exhausted to leave her hotel. We get room service and watch Jaws. She ends up falling asleep on my lap. I watch her more than the movie. She moves her eyes and lips a lot when she sleeps. I wonder what she dreams about. I feel bad for her since she's expected to have so much energy for these tours yet the jet lag and different time zones don't make it easy. Finneas texts her a few times and I can't answer him since her phone is locked. I decide to let it be and if it was urgent, he would call.

The movie ends and I wake her up to take her to bed. I take her track suit pants off and leave her in her singlet top and underwear. She mumbles 'sorry' and something else but I can't understand her. Before I can ask her what she said, she's asleep again. I turn her phone to silent seconds before Finneas calls. I take her phone back into the lounge room and answer it "Finneas, I'm sorry. She's passed out" I say to him "What do you mean passed out? Is she drunk?" Fuck. I shouldn't have said that. "No sorry, I meant she's fast asleep. Sorry it's something us Aussie's say." He audibly relaxes "Oh... OK well when she wakes up, can you tell her I called?" He says sounding irritated and he hangs up. God, he already doesn't like me and I think I just made it worse.

——

I awake to the sound of her voice. "Fuck, Finneas. Why are you so annoying?" I hear her say. I open my eyes and see the door to the bedroom is open and the lights are on. I roll over to check my phone. It's 3:45am. "Yeah, OK. I'm coming over now... No, she's sleeping. Yeah, bye" I hear her footsteps and close my eyes again. I can hear her find her pants she wore earlier, she puts them on. She pauses in the bedroom door and then shuts it. I hear the hotel room door shut.