Chapter 29

I go backstage after the show to catchup with Billie and the band. I walk through the door and she greets me with the biggest smile. She hugs me and lifts me off my feet. I wrap my legs around her and kiss her. When we break away, she puts me down and says "Did you like our surprise?" Looking between her and Finneas I am lost for words "...How? ...What? ...When?" I hug Finneas and he laughs. "You guys were amazing. I could never have finished that song to that level. Omg... I'm blown away!" I say. "I think Billie has some explaining to do" he says nudging her arm. I turn to Billie and she feigns innocence. "You know that long ass meeting I had yesterday?" She says. "Yeah?" I say wondering where this is going. "Well it wasn't a meeting, she lied" Finneas interjects and they start play fighting. "You finished the song yesterday?" I ask once they calm down. One thing I've learnt is that after a good show, the adrenalin from the show still runs through their bodies long after the show is finished. They both nod. "Cheeky!" I yell.

——

I decide to go back home to Melbourne and tie some loose ends, pack more clothes and talk properly to Harry. Billie desperately wants me to fly with her but she understands that I need to go back. She isn't helping me pack. Quite the opposite actually, she unpacks my suitcase whilst I pack it. We spend the day in each others arms, laughing and being playful with each other. "Please don't go" she pleads with me. "You can text me and call me as much as you want. OK?" I say hugging her. She pouts. I'm going to miss her so much. "I love you" she whispers. I can tell she's holding back tears. She's trying to be strong for me. "I love you" I say as my own tears escape and fall onto her shoulder.

——

My flight home was uneventful I make it home and text Billie 'I miss you' as soon as I land. Harry's waiting for me at the airport. I'm so excited to see him. I bound towards him and throw myself at him. I let him go and he holds me at arms length. He smiles wide and closes his eyes "she's in love!" He squeals. I roll my eyes at him. How does he always know?

He's been living in my apartment since I left for Sydney and clearly enjoying himself. He makes some space on my couch amongst clothes and chocolate wrappers for me to sit. He sits on the floor in front of me and waits for me to divulge everything. I tell him everything that happened from Sydney to Fremantle. He wasn't too thrilled about when Billie iced me out for a day, how Finneas was treating me which I assured him was short-lived or at least I hoped it was, and how I'm heading to LA to live with her. He winces when I tell him I'm leaving. He stays quite as he contemplates everything I've said. "Well" he says shrugging, "At least you're not pregnant!" he says and we hysterically laugh.

"Didn't I say that you will be famous one day? Just please remember the little people when you're busy shacking up with your lesbian lover" He says. "You're going to come visit me though, right?" I ask him. His face softens. "Of course I will K. You're my bestie." He says and I well up with tears. God, so many tears lately! He gets up from the floor and hugs me. "I'll always be here for you" he whispers to me. When he pulls back, I can see he has tears as well.

——

I listen to the audio

I listen to the audio. It's Billie talking about people's opinions of her, never being satisfied with what they're presented with, her being victimised by people's slanderous words, her not being good enough... "Is my value based only on your perception? Or is your opinion of me? Not my responsibility". Every word she says is true and unapologetic. I wonder what she's planning on doing with the audio.

 I wonder what she's planning on doing with the audio

——

Before my flight, Billie mailed me a present with a handwritten note 'For your flight' it read. The present was like a 'Pass-the-Parcel'. It was the purple hoodie she wore in Sydney, the first night she cried. It smelt of her and her perfume. Inside the hoodie was an iPad with another handwritten note 'My favorite's for my favorite' it read. It was filled with her favourite books, music playlists of her favourite songs, and her favourite movies. Underneath the iPad was a plane ticket. It was for the same flight I was already booked onto but it was a first class ticket. I shake my head and smile of how thoughtful she is. She just can't help herself.