Chapter 34

I've been stressing about what to wear for the past half an hour. I have no idea what to wear to meet the parents. Billie comes in to the closet to start getting ready. It doesn't take her long to get ready so I know we have to go soon. When she sees me sitting on the floor of the closet with my underwear on and my makeup and hair done, she seems worried. "What are you doing down there?" She asks me. "Hi Billie" Harry says to her. She didn't realise but I had him on FaceTime whilst I was freaking out. She looks at me and then looks at my phone waving. "He's helping me get ready" I reason with her. "In your bra and panties?" She says looking more worried. "Oh honey, I've seen it all before and I am not interested in that" he waves a finger at me "she's all yours, love"!he continues. I give him a stern look and Billie laughs. She looks at me, points to the phone and says "He's funny".

Billie heads through to the bathroom and has a shower. I watch her get undressed. Like a private strip show. I forget Harry's even on the phone 'Earth to Kristina' he says waving a hand at the camera. I turn to look at him and pout "help me!" He sighs loudly "you can't go past the dress, it makes you look virginal and sweet. Two things you are not but they don't need to know that". I reach on the floor for my shoe options. "OK! Boots or sneakers?" I hold up one shoe of each. "Where's the dinner again?"!He asks "Their house!" I say exasperated since I've told him three times now. "Sneakers but clean them up, they're dirty as hell!" I let out a laugh and a breath. I think I'm sorted now. But the nerves don't go away. I let Harry go to sleep and finish getting ready.

——

Billie drives us to her parents house. She's excited for tonight. Not only for her mum's home cooking which she tells me is delicious but also to introduce me to them. We pull up to the house "They beat us" she says pointing to the car in front which I assume is Finneas and Claudia's. Billie steps out of the car and runs around to open mine. As she does I take a second to gather myself. She leans into the car "you ready?" She asks me as she holds out her hand. I nod and take it hoping she doesn't let me go.

We walk inside without knocking. Claudia and her mum are in the kitchen and we can see her dad and Finneas on the back deck through the glass doors. Her mum beams at the sight of Billie. "My girl!" She says loudly. She wipes her hand on a dish towel and walks towards Billie with open arms. Billie doesn't let my hand go as she hugs her mum back. "Ma, this is Kristina" she says waving her free hand towards me. "Hi Kristina. I'm Maggie" and she hugs me too. "So nice to finally meet you" I say. Claudia has made her way over to us and is hugging Billie. "I'm Claudia" she says as she hugs me "Kristina" I say smiling. "Your dad and brother are out back at the barbecue" Maggie tells Billie "OK" Billie says and we walk towards them. "Hey, dad" Billie says hugging him. Finneas puts down his beer and hugs me. "Long time no see" he says to me. "Dad, this is Kristina" Billie says "Kristina, my dad, Patrick." Her dad holds his arms out and I go in for a hug. "What's that saying?" He asks me. Finneas and Billie both turn to look at him "Something about a barbie?" He says and I laugh. "Throw another shrimp on the barbie!" I say and they all laugh. You can tell they're all related, they have the same smile.